Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is a good meat slicer?

Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to buy an electric slicer. I know there has been information on here before, but nothing much turns up in the search forum. I did find a $99 Chef's Choice model that someone on here had purchased. Is it any good? Any other suggestions?
thanks.

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Unless you are going to buy an industrial one I don't think it's worth it. I purchased one years ago for around $100 and the hassle of cleaning it was not worth it - donated it to the in-laws for a garage sale $.25.

I heard from a chef that the best slicer is a high end set of knives - kept sharp of course. I purchased the Wolfgang Puck knives - not that high end but work great and easy to clean.

Sorry, doesn't directly answer your question.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Frank, put the cursor in the site search box, upper right. No text, just hit enter. Then, enter Chef's Choice slicer and select all words. Quite a few posts on that brand and others.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• A lot of commercial institutions are doing away with them due to workers being hurt etc. They are quite a bit more money, but if you can afford a commercial slicer, they are REALLY nice. You should be able to find a used one for a reasonable price at a restaurant supply shop in your area. Commercial slicers can do cheese and really fine slices much better than the small motors can in domestic brands. I got a SMALL commercial machine for around $400 20 years ago that is still serving me quite well. A comparable machine now sells for around $500 from what I have seen.

This site seems to have some good ideas on different brands etc. http://www.galttech.com/research/household-DIY-tools/best-meat-slicer.php

http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/2009/03/product-review-cabelas-commercial-grade.html likes the Cabelas high end slicer.

Please update us on what you find out!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Thanks all, I have good knives, can't really justify [can you say "afford"] a commercial model, but I would like to be able to slice deli-thin meat, so I will just ponder this awhile.
    I appreciate everyone's input :)
  • I looked for one for many years and finally found an old hobart on Craigslist for $200. . It has a small leak in the gear box that i have to maintain, the blade was new when i bought it. It will slice for hours and can be adjusted down to where the meat will just shred..
  • A local butcher sold me their small commercial one. (Fleetwood Mignon 250). It needed some minor repairs and the cutting wheel needed serious sharpening. Parts are still readily available or a decent hardware store can find something that'll work.

It really does the job well. I haven't been happy with the home models I've used.

I would keep an eye on Craigs List and e-bay. You might find a deal at restaurant supply shop that handles used stuff.