Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Sausage Makers Stuffing with a KitchenAid?

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not having a lot of luck with mine, and wondered if someone experienced might give me some pointers...or should I go buy a real stuffer?

Comments

• get a real stuffer. my wife and i got into a good rhythm with the KA, and still it takes forever to do 5#, and you risk overworking and overheating the sausage.

i finally got the 5# dakotah, which also comes in a 10# clear version. it is fast and easy, like me after three beers

click>>The Dakotah One-Man Stuffer

09_stuffer.jpg

10_stuffing.jpg
  • KA is good if you want to use it just once or twice a year ..if you're thinking of making sausage more than that get a real one..
    i used mine once PIA.
  •  
    Be careful as you can burn out your KA - I did.

A lot of forum folk are having good results with the EA Grinder.

When I did use my KA for stuffing I rig'd up a table that would put the output of the KA tubes just above table top height. That helped but the head on the new KA Pro couldn't handle doing very large amounts. Also, it is hard on the people stuffing and the long time creates more risk with handling the raw meat. There are some methods which will help you with that part. I also found it hard to get a real good packing in the casings.

I would say get a good stuffer. It makes a world of difference. What would take me close to an hour with the KA could be done in 4 to 6 minutes with my vertical stuffer.

The water powered stuffer pictured above looks pretty slick too.

A few months ago Harbor Freight announced their meat grinder, I think it was close to $50. It looks a lot like the professional home grinder offered by Cabellas which was $190.

GG
  • Took me 3 hours and four hands to do 15 lbs of venison sausage. I am buying a real one this year for sure. Was a waste of money and time and not a good use of my KA.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I have no problems with the KA grinder, but sadly the stuffer attachment is not very good at all.

Look at the vertical plunger models, having manual control helps a lot as the size of the casing changes.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Like the others say the KA is a nice little grinder but as a stuffer it sucks. -RP
  •  
    I didn't enjoy grinding or stuffing on the KA. Thirdeye, AZRP(used to) and several others have good luck grinding 15# at a setting on the KA.

Stuffing, for me, no way. I sold my KA grinder set on eBay an gave away the stuffing tubes here on the forum.

Wish I had the money and I would get a grinder like AZRP and Ranger Ray uses (or something like what they have). But I don't do all that much sausage.

GG
  • ive heard people grinding and stuffing in the same motion (use grinder plate, attach stuffing tube), using nearly frozen meat.

I did it once, liked the outcome...havent tried it since, trying to eat better these days and sausage and pork butts arent on my menu.
  • jeffinsgf
    I'll start looking at stuffers.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Northern Tools sells a nice 5 lb stuffer for one of the best prices around.
  • I also spent 3 hours stuffing 15 pounds. I've been thinking about that Northern Tool 5 lb. vertical one as well.

I take it that a vertical unit with a hand crank is the way to go. Stainless steel sounds better than chrome plated. Anything else I need to have - internal relief valve, steel gears?
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    I have the Northern Tool 5 lb one - and it works very nicely for me. I like that it's stainless - goes in the dishwasher too.
  • the water piston one i have is hands free. you can likely get a vertical stuffer with an electric motor. you need both hands for stuffing, if you are by yourself. you don't want to be cranking
  • I just got Ruhlman's book, and haven't made any sausage yet, but I'm weighing my options. I'll probably go with a stand-alone grinder. The motor on my 6-year-old KA already sounds...stressed...and I'm afraid a meat grinding session or two will push it over the edge. Not sure if I'll start with a less expensive grinder, like the Harbor Freight, or go with a nicer one with metal gears, like the Northern Tool model.

I'm also not sure what I'll do for a stuffer, the water stuffer one stike has looks great, but I'd have to re-arrange the counter space next to the sink. Right now, the only place I've got room to make sausage is the island, and there's no water supply there. How long is that hose, stike?

I wish I had a friend with some equipment I could try out, but I don't know of anyone local.
  • i bought the hose myself (not included). it's a simple washer hookup, and can be had in different lengths
  • that might just be the ticket, then...pricey, though...but it looks like most stuffers are.
  • jeffinsgf
    If you kill your old KA, you have a reason to buy a bigger one. :woohoo:
  • Fantastic book - a buddy and I are working our way through it. We've started out slow, doing pickles, kraut, corned beef, and pastrami.

Made about 30 pounds of sausages last week. Ruhlman's idea to add liquid while mixing helped a lot. These are the best sausage we've made. The texture was perfect.

I'm looking forward to moving into the smoked sausages next!

Our end goal is to make great Salumi.
  • well, keep in mind they have a cheaper 5# version. i think my link was to the 10# version.

i do all my sausage in 5# batches (recipes are written that way usually). if i want to make that rare batch of TEN POUNDS of bratwurst, i'll just fill it twice.
  • I read through it a couple years ago...got it from the library. Now I've finally got a copy of my own. It was on my "wishlist" for about 4 years. :laugh:

I did the corned beef/pastrami for St. Patty's day this year...pulled the recipe off the internet. First on my list will be bacon (no equipment required), but what I'm really looking forward to, is being able to make the kinds of sausage that I just can't find locally, like spanish chorizo, linguisa, and good andouille.

Wow, 30 pounds at a time? That's some serious work. What kinds of sausage did you make?

If you aspire to great salumi, you're probably eagerly anticipating his upcoming book.
  • Good thinking, but I think I'd rather save the cash for a small egg. If I had to replace the KA, I'd be sorely tempted to go with an Electrolux...they look really interesting, but that's some serious money, there. I think my KA just needs a little maintenance. It leaks brown sludge from the motor housing, occasionally. I think the grease is breaking down. I should ship it off to Fidel. :woohoo:

Since I've got your attention, did you happen to see my chile ID post a couple weeks ago? So far the ideas have been: anaheim, red banana, or cross-pollination.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=964179&catid=1

My hot sauce has been in the fridge for about three weeks, now...time to give it a try, I think.
  • I was just browsing the dakotah website, and saw the item listing for a roll of their "extruder paper"
    http://dakotahsausagestuffer.com/store.htm

Given what the roll looks like, if you haven't explored the rest of the site, and seen their process for making jerky, the "extruder paper" looks like a pretty hilarious joke. Extruder indeed. :woohoo:
  • jeffinsgf
    I'm going to guess that they're a New Mexico chile of some kind. I have "Big Jim" growing this year, and the red ones look very much like your picture and have slightly above moderate heat. Absolutely delicious either green or red, roasted and peeled.

Now, just a little bit about "crossing". Any pepper can pollinate any other pepper, but that will not affect the amount of capsaicin in the fruit. The seed from that fruit will display the genetic traits of both parents in the next generation. "Crossed" peppers happened the year before, not because someone planted jalapenos next to bells this year. There are lots of variables that will affect heat level, but pollination is not one of them.
  • Ben,

That's a rather personal question isn't it?

Steve :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sigh, I suppose you expect dinner and a movie first.

I thought about that as I was writing it, but decided to leave it. I'm surprised it took that long for someone to comment.