Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help, first brisket in new large

BraumiesterBraumiester Posts: 134
edited 12:48AM in EggHead Forum
How do I tell when its done??
Went on last nite at 9pm, dome 230, grid 210, woke up this am and dome was 210,grid still 210, internal temp is 180 with thermapen,looks dry.

Comments

  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    Use a fork test fork should go in and out as if in soft butter I like to take mine to 195 to 200 interioryou might open it up a little it's hard to get the meat to 200 with grate at 210
  • 61chev wrote:
    Use a fork test fork should go in and out as if in soft butter I like to take mine to 195 to 200 interioryou might open it up a little it's hard to get the meat to 200 with grate at 210

    Tnx for the help and sorry, I have raised the grate to 240 for the last couple hrs, I will try and be patient B)

    The egg is really easy to control temps after starting with GG vent settings.
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    As 61chev said, the fork (or meat probe) will glide out just as easy as it went in... You didn't say what type it was (packer or flat) but if you have a packer, you may want to pull and separate when the flat is done (it will be done a lot earlier than the big point section.. put the point back on and cook till it reaches 205-210...
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven wrote:
    As 61chev said, the fork (or meat probe) will glide out just as easy as it went in... You didn't say what type it was (packer or flat) but if you have a packer, you may want to pull and separate when the flat is done (it will be done a lot earlier than the big point section.. put the point back on and cook till it reaches 205-210...

    Thanks , It is a packer,certified angus beef, the flat was 180 30 minutes ago, I will check again in 30 minutes will fork test it then , the flat is 186 now, wife says patience is not one of my virtues.
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    It is close... watch how the meat "holds" a probe or fork (you can even slightly twist the fork to see if the meat starts to pull apart) and pull it when ready.. separate the two pieces - foil and wrap the flat and put in a cooler for an hour or so before you slice...
    You may have another 2-3 hours on the point before it gets up to 210...
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven wrote:
    It is close... watch how the meat "holds" a probe or fork (you can even slightly twist the fork to see if the meat starts to pull apart) and pull it when ready.. separate the two pieces - foil and wrap the flat and put in a cooler for an hour or so before you slice...
    You may have another 2-3 hours on the point before it gets up to 210...

    Thanks, I will check it again at noon.
    How long will the egg burn, I filled it to the top of the fire ring with Fire King. It has been going since 8 last nite.
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    My LBGE will go 30 hours on a load if I keep the temp at 250 or under - I fill to the top of the fire ring... I usually use Royal Oak
    Kent Madison MS
  • Ok just checked again the thin part of the flat is as you say soft and like butter the thick part is not,will give it more time,internal temp of the thick part of the flat is 188. now that I see how it gets soft I think i will be able to tell. B)
    Guess I have plenty of burn time left :laugh:
    Thanks for the help, can't wait to taste it.
  • My suggestion is to go ahead and do another brisket for the next 5 weekends and get them dry as you can to get that out of the way. I have been egg'n for 8 years and I still suck at brisket. From smoked pintos to perfectly cooked fish I'm really good, brisket just kicks my behind.
    DMo
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    I feel your pain... I approach it as two different cooks.. the flat and the point... when I finally made that connection (thanks to the forum) my brisket skill began to elevate above the "failure" mark... still working on Great
    Kent Madison MS
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,349
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • Pulled the brisket off at 204°, wrapped with foil for 45 minutes then cut, it was fall apart tender the small end of the flat was a little dry, the rest was good. It was 8.5lbs so had plenty left over for sandwiches. all in all happy with first brisket.

    Thanks everyone for the help.
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    on that small thin end u need to use foil under it to protect it from the heat
  • I did , I had the grill foiled just like Bubbatim, even had a drip pan that was foiled , made for easy cleanup B)
Sign In or Register to comment.