Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP The British Are Coming!!!

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will try to make the story short. When my girlfriend was in second grade she was in girl scouts. In girl scouts they had to write a letter which was then sent to a pen pal the girl scouts had set up. Well her letter was sent to a girl named Lindsey who was from England. My girlfriend eventually left the girl scouts a few years later but kept up with her pen pal sending letters. Well 17 years and many letters later Lindsey decided to come to America and surprise my girlfriend. Surprised would be a understatement. She still can't comprehend it 3 days later. She has always dreamed of meeting her pen pal one day and had no idea she was coming. Lindsey and friends have been here in Minnesota a few days now and did our going out to eat gig the first few nights. The only food that they requested to eat was a Twinkie and a corn dog. (They saw them in the movies) We had a deep fried Twinkie and they had a Corn dog at the Vikes game. They also had wings since it's not very common in England. I also found out our medium spiced wings are pretty spicy for them. So I figured since we have only ate out, why not make a American homemade meal tomorrow or Wednesday. Here is my question, what should I make what they might not eat over in England? They eat the basic burgers, steaks, and some chicken. Do you think pulled pork would work? Anyone have any ideas for food? Not really sure what to make. Any suggestion would be great. Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Must do a side of ABT's
    021009002.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    I studied two years in England.....& kept going back for over 20 years.....will tell you what not to cook if you want something different: Fish & chips, Salmon, New Zealand lamb, scottish eggs, roast beef, sausages of any kind :laugh: , Yorkshire pudding, Steak & kidney pie :sick:liver :sick: , dumplings, cauliflower cheese, pork pie, Beef Wellington, , Shepherds pie, Eggs in any presentation :P .bacon......not english...haggis :pinch: , Indian curries,cornish pasties, Sure I missed some but this are the ones I remember. What I'd cook is the largest & most tender cut of Beef you can find.....gosh I missed good beef when I was there........ ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    ABT's...Pulled Pork with ALL the sides.....Peach Cobbler and Ice Cream for dessert!Can't miss!!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I'm thinking anything 'American BBQ' would be a nice change for them. I was in England as a youngster for a few weeks in the 80's and I can tell you that many of what I ate was very bland. Burgers...awful. Do up a butt and some ribs and they'll be liking that.

How was the fest? I never made it. what part of town you in?
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    How about a lasagna on the egg?

Or as Beli said a really nice piece of beef. The only issue is how to cook it. It's been my experience that they like their meat well done. That would be a shame with a really nice piece of meat.

Michael
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hoss I am headed to your house now :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Was my first fest. It was a great time. I'm in E.P
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I grew up in EP. Get yourself looking at the forum in 'Classic View' :ermm: your response to me was directed at Hoss. :whistle:
  • I bet they would like some real Q - ribs, corn on the cob and slaw.

South of the Border Stuffed Fritos for an appetiser

Lived there five years - only missed crawfish and watermelon
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I'd say Fish and Chips! Mmmm.

LOL. I like the idea of ribs. Something easy like that that will taste GREAT.

That's a really cool story. Very nice surprise. Is she cool?
  • first i would ask them and/or take them shopping and play iron chef american ,, they choose you cook.
    i suspect anything with bbq sauce would be a good choice. but careful of the heat,, horseradish is ok but pepper heat is probably not.. their bacon is more like buckboard bacon so belly bacon might be a good choice..
    i think peach cobbler is great idea but peach season is about done here ..
    my choice would be
    grilled shrimp [put raw in ziplock pour on melted butter and seasin with old bay]
    local tomato slices on a bed of lettuce with drizzle of evoo [she makes my skin crawl] and balsamic
    egged boneless chicken thighs with dizzy dust and a light coat of a mild sauce
    local corn off the cob with butter and a bit of cream salt and pepper [creamed corn]
    sauteed chard/spinach/broccoli rabe/chinese broccoli in evoo and butter with a hint of garlic
    what ever local fresh fruit you can find peach cobbler , pear tart etc..
    i know a couple of british ex pats and can ask them in the morning if you wish.. e-mail thru forum if you want me to do this
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I agree with Beli. Fix some choice or prime beef steaks. The beef in England is pretty tough. good luck to all. SurfTurf3.jpg
  •  
    I would suggest pulled pork sandwiches and also have some burger and dogs ready to cook and maybe some chicken and brats. Corn on the cob used to be uncommon over there. Some kind of fruit. Watermelon slices or cut a watermelon in half length-ways. Clear out the half and fill it with watermelon balls, cantaloupe balls, honeydew melon balls. To that add a little amount of sprite which will make a wonder fresh dish.

This would be a lot of food but for them having that selection of different Q'd food would be a real delight for them to test and eat more of what they liked best.

That would be a real special and fun cook to do.

Let us know what you decide and make sure you take the time to post some pictures.

My 2¢

GG
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    When I lived in Germany we were cautioned against serving corn to the Europeans because it was considered to be pig food. I don't know if that is still the case, but doesn't hurt asking before taking the chance of insulting someone. This was in the 70's and my husband was in the Army stationed in Germany. Corn was a definite No-no.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    When I have foreign guests I always make a complete Thanksgiving menu. It's my "thank you for being my guest" meal and I explain the holiday to them. Turkey with the trimmings. What could be more American? When I visited Sweden a few years ago I took with me peanut butter, maple sugar and maple syrup and cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie filling as a house gift. Included with those goodies were a coal carving of a miner because I live in coal mining area. I also carried with me peanut butter/cheese crackers to snack on during my long flights. My hostess loved them so much that when I mail packages to her I stuff the extra spaces with those crackers. Silly little things make a big difference.
  • I graduated early and lived in London, Hampstead Heath for a while, years ago. I survived by eating in the curry houses. However, since then the British food has come a long way and there are great places to eat. Some foods I would recommend: BBQ ribs, pulled pork, Clays pulled beef,a fabulous 2 to 2 1/2 inch thick porterhouse, Pork chile verde, roasted pineapple, grilled corn (if it is still in season), and fried green tomatoes, and watermelon.

Have fun with your guests! Let us know what you cooked.