Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try @ Pulled Pork

Florida EggHead
Florida EggHead Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, after marinating in a brine solution overnight and rubbing with some standard McCormick Grilling Rub the Pork Shoulder is on the BGE. Having a bit of a problem getting the temp down, but I figure it's like one of those watched pot things and I need to back off for at least 15 minutes. We'll see where we are 10 - 12 hours from now.

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    How much to you have to bring the temp down? and what's your target temp?
  • Everything wide open it got up to 600+ degrees. I was trying to target 200 degrees. It took me about an hour to get it to 225 but I left the house for a few hours and when I got back it was around 150 degrees, put a little more starter and re-arranged the charcoal and it came back up. Trying to find the right combination to keep it around 200 degrees. There still seems to be plenty of charcoal. I'm at hour 7 right now and the internal temp of the Pork Shoulder is right around 150 degrees. We'll see what a couple more hours do.
  • Your dome needs to be at 250 degrees. That shoulder will never hit 200 internal if your dome is 200. If you dont get it up you're in for a long night of waiting.
  • I have found this to be one of the easiest long cooks if I keep dome @ 250. Just seems to maintain this temp. very easily. Lower and higher temps are harder to maintain. Not always perfect like clockwork, but the closest I can find to perfection/ease.
  • Sorry for the late response, the Pulled Pork was a hit on Monday night even though I was not 100% happy with it. I didn't feel the rub really added anything to the meat over all. I'm considering using an injector next time to get more of the flavor into the meat. It was tender, not fall off the bone tender but not tough either. I'm smoking ribs today we'll see how that goes.