Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are Foodsavers worth the money?

JerseyEgger
JerseyEgger Posts: 315
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I got up this morning and the last channel on my TV was Food Network. When I powered on my TV an infomercial for a new Foodsaver was on. Are these things worth the money? It would be nice to buy bulk meat and vegetables without having to worry about them going bad in 4 or 5 days or getting freezer burned.
-Eddie

Comments

• Definitely.

I buy bulk beef at Costco, like beef tenderloins, then slice it into dinner size helpings and shrink wrap for the freezer. They will keep forever that way without freezer burn. I also freeze other stuff like shrimp, pork chops, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I would say they are although I have only had mine a year or so. They are the best way of keeping pulled pork fresh. They also offer some pretty good sales sometimes usually around Christmas time.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I use mine almost exclusively for leftovers and it works great! Leftovers does not really cover it. I cook things like 8 lbs of fatties or a whole loin cured as Canadian bacon and have lots of on-purpose leftovers.

They keep for a year (at least) with no loss of quality.

I wouldn't be without one.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I don't know what model they're selling on the infomercial, but a basic Foodsaver is well worth the money, in my opinion. I've had one for a couple years, and love it. Our home is just the wife and myself, so "family packs" get parceled out, vacuum packed and frozen. I made 5 pounds of bulk sausage a few days ago, and packed it all in 1/2 pound packs with the Foodsaver. It will come out of the freezer virtually perfect.

The marinating container is pretty cool, too.
  • Absolutely. We egg 3-4 hams at a time for pulled pork and my wife saves several servings for future use.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Eddie I love mine. we buy bulk at sams and restaurant depot and put it to good use. we also have a meat slicer so we buy the cheese in full size and slice and vac seal. it keeps months that way. you can just pick up a cheep one and see if you will use it. even just for resealing the frozen bags of vegis so there is not corn all over the freezer is nice LOL one of mine came with canisters.. i have never even opened them.
    But the bags are great. I buy them by the roll on ebay and cut the size I need. and they really do make a diff and keep food longer with no freezer burn.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/THREE-11-x-50-BAG-ROLLS-FOODSAVER-Vacuum-Sealer-/360286783252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e2c40714
    is where we get our bags.
    also for left over pulled pork, reheating is a breeze. just pop the bag in boiling water and it is hot in minutes :)
  • I use mine a lot (pull it out several times a week) but didn't know about buying the rolls on Ebay. Sounds pretty handy - thanks for the tip.

I also have a few cannisters but don't use them.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Eddie:

'nough said!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• i recently paid 70 bucks retail for their simplest one. i can tell you that ziploc bags (even so-called "freezer" bags) are useless, ultimately either failing (splitting) or getting freezer burnt.

i was vrey happy with the way the foodsaver performed, though i haven't had it very long. for 70 bucks, though, i cant see why it would be a risky bet.

i can't see a reason for the more costly versions, but others might have a need. i just got the manual version that uses 8" bags
  • Awesome! Its amazing how strongly you all feel :laugh: Its now on my list of things to buy for my new place!
    -Eddie
  • Its some new model with smart seal technology :ohmy:

You stick the plastic in and it automatically starts sealing. You can adjust the suction and make custom size bags. Not sure if that's standard on all of them. Its about $174 and comes with a bunch of bags a couple rolls for custom bags and the marinating container.

http://www.foodsaver.com/TVV3800.aspx
    -Eddie
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    I bought mine at Costco about 2 months ago and have been happy so far,can't help on long term storage as yet, I partially freeze raw meat because it will suck the juice out of a steak! Also has the amazing ability to take a biscuit, vacuseal it, and it will turn into a cracker!
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Eddie check Sam's first. I was there the other day and I think I saw that same model/deal but cheaper ;)
  • Thanks!! I don't think its a question of whether I'll use it or not. I know I would. I just wanted to make sure it was worth buying and provided the as advertised results. You have definitely convinced me :cheer: Thank you!
    -Eddie
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I know a couple firms that sell through infomercials, and also have distribution through normal channels. The infomercial model is rarely if ever the best value.

Check out Bed, Bath and Beyond, online stores, and Sam's. I think you'll find the same features at a better price. Mine has all that, and I think it was closer to $130. Either way, you'll be pleased with the system.
  • Yeah they had this whiz bang model that automatically sucked the air. It has a compartment for a roll to cut custom size bags. It also had a gentle feature so you can do things like bread without crushing it. That could just be a marketing thing.
    -Eddie
  • LMAO!! Yeah this one has "smartseal" technology that I guess helps avoid sucking all the juice out of a steak. uhhh that didnt sound right... Ummm anyway. It also has a gentle feature for things like biscuits and bread.
    -Eddie
  • Eddie,

If there is a feature that you like on a model, I'd pony up the extra bucks and get it. I've had my basic unit for (guessing) 20 years, and it keeps on sealing.

So, you are making a long time investment.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Wow I would have NEVER thought of that! Thanks!
    -Eddie
  • Thank you all for the cost savings tips!!
    -Eddie
  •  
    I agree with everyone else and love mime. The other day I found a couple chicken breast that I had sealed and frozen (raw) last December. When defrosted they were perfect and couldn't be told from fresh.

I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond. At the top of their page if you click on "Email Sign up" and sign up for coupons you will very shortly receive in your email a 20% any item in store coupon. You will also periodically receive similar coupons by snail mail. 20% off a FoodSaver is a good deal.

I have yet to buy from them but THIS SITE (originally posted by RichardFl I think) has the best prices on bag material that I have seen any where. Sam's also has a pretty good price on bag material.

I don't have any of the canisters but have heard good things about the marinator.

Good luck,

Blair

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    That means yes.
  • i got mine at a Kohl's store. i don't know what made me decide to check there, but as i pulled in, i noticed next door was a Kitchens Etc.

i went there first instead, but they had only one model, the most expensive. so i headed to check out Kohl's, and found they had three models, from smallest to bells-n-whistles
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    no, the gentle setting is not marketing hype - a FS can do a real number of fresh pastries and breads - flatten them in fact!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    ive gotten two free ones, seems there is always someone wanting to free up some space in the kitchen :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  •  
    A short while back Costco had a $50 instant off.

GG
  • I was in the same boat. I had big dreams of saving food in a foodsaver... buying in bulk. But i dunno. i have a cheap walmart foodsaver equivelent. and used it quite a bit at first.. now not as much. I don't need to store food in my freezer for a year. if i do use it anymore, it's mainly for fish because they spoil pretty easy. But other than that i don't use it a whole lot. Good luck.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Stike,

I'm on my third vac machine. The first 2 I bet I paid 60-80 bucks for and they each made it about 2 years. I am 1 year into the 150 dollar model that stands a little more upright and has some nice features to boot. My hope is that I might get 5-10 years for this model. I call them 'disposable' but vital for me.