Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry age question.

Options
Luvs to shoot clay
Luvs to shoot clay Posts: 774
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am headed back to China tomorrow and have a 12# prime, whole prime rib in the garage refrigerator to age for about 35 to 45 days. I have it fat side up and resting on a grate to help air circulation. Nothing on it at all so we can all stay in our happy places tonight but want to make sure fat side up is preferred over down?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Can't say as I've ever heard or seen one way or the other when using Drybags. I know with the 5 I've aged so far I've always had mine fat side on the bottom. Since yours is on a rack so circulation isn't a problem I don't think it makes much difference. Boy, what a nice thing to look forward to upon your return!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Willy, you have email - it may be in your spam folder, but I did send you one!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Do it fat down. You won't have air circulation where the rack is touching the meat.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Got your email, thanks.
  • RRP
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I think we are on the same page, but it depends on the kind of rack used. For instance here is mine and those legs mean I get good circulation.
    IMG_1577.jpg

So I place it so the fat cap is on the bottom next to the wire rack. In this picture you can see the contact points really didn't block much air flow at all.
    IMG_0743-1.jpg

and besides that the fat cap is what gets trimmed off the heaviest anyway.

See you at Oswego!!!
  • doesn't matter as far as aging goes, not sure how it could

but, the grid will make some indentations in the meat, so cosmetically you may want fat up.
  • if it's a wire rack, it should be fine.
  • KenHawk
    Options
    Don't forget humidification. Make yourself a Tupperware container with holes drilled in the lid. Enclose a moist sponge and put some kind of hygrometer in the fridge. You want to keep the humidity close to 70%. Without the humidity you get way more mold and the meat isn't as good (too dry to start).

I bought a huge plastic storage container at Sam's and have a small tupperware container (sponge sized) inside it. There's also a hygrometer outward facing. It's easier than humidifying a whole fridge.

Salumi lasts forever in there. Beef will dry age without drying out or spoiling.
  • you get more mold with humidity...

some commercial dry-aging outfits will aim for 55%, others 85%, and anywhere in between.

kind of a quality choice. usually the argument is that more humidity allows you to age longer, because you can go longer before it becomes too dry

but some of the experiments posted by people hee who are aging imply that there is very little danger at even 45+ days that the meat will dry too much, whether in dry age bags or commando style (open air).

never had mold and never had it get too dry, and that's just a standard home fridge.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    B) I agree.Whatever method you use,temp is all that matters.Drybag :unsure: or commando. B) In a home fridge that is.