Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Pot

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to brine a turkey for the weekend. Is an aluminum pot used for deep frying ok to brine in or is it a reactive metal? I could just put a garbage bag in it but if I don't have to I'd rather not! Thanks for the info!!

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Brunomax,[p]definatley bag it

• eggor,[p]From Wednesday's Washington Post Food Section and a link to other Thanksgiving dishes and hints[p]Wednesday, November 17, 2004; Page F03 [p]In our opinion, brining a Thanksgiving turkey is worth the hassle. And the hassle includes finding a leak-proof, sturdy, food-safe, brining bag (not a trash bag, please!) into which you can pour the liquid, add the turkey and park the whole thing in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally. [p]For this singular task Williams-Sonoma has created a bag about the dimensions of a king-size pillow with a safe-looking double seal. Each bag can hold a turkey as large as 23 pounds. Cautious types may still want to put the bag in a roasting pan in the fridge to ensure that brining liquid doesn't spill all over the place. [p]Set of two turkey brining bags, $10; available at Williams-Sonoma stores.

[ul][li]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/print/weekly/food/[/ul]
  • eggor
    Sandlapper,[p]well a clean trash bag or even one that has been used a little is probably cleaner than most of the coolers that the rest of us will use.[p]Scott
  • eggor,[p]Like I said a while back I use an unused white pickle bucket..aka drywall mud bucket
  • Sandlapper, this post should win the "most important food and safety" award for the forum in the 2004 Thanksgiving season. Thanks

• Chet,[p]Your welcome Chet.....Thanks for the recognition.

• eggor
    Sandlapper,[p]probably be cheaper to get those 5 dollar bags than replace the pickle bucket every time you want to brine a bird. just pokin at you, i know what you mean.[p]Scott

• eggor,[p]That's a good point Bubba....The local restaurant supply house sells a jug of sanitizing tablets for about $15....I use those for just about everything these days....speaking of brining last night Emril said to place the bird in a bag and let sit in a cold oven for 24 hours....I found that to be odd and assume he meant the fridge...
  • eggor
    Sandlapper,[p]see, i knew you were holdin out. by the way i am creating my own little tip's book on turkey, and sanitizing the brine bucket just got added.[p]Scott

• Sandlapper,
    what about putting the turkey in an aliuminum pan,
    put cheasecloth , soaked in brine around it overnight.
    Would that work.?

• Re: Brining. Would putting the turkey in an aluminum pan
    with cheasecloth soaked in brine and wrapped around bird overnight
    in fridge work?

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Rita the photographer,
    It's not good to use aluminum for brining. Aluminum is "reactive", unlike glass, some plastics and most stainless steel. The mixture of additives in a brining solution will probably corrode aluminum, with the chemical reaction creating stuff that you shouldn't ingest.[p]The process of brining requires that the meat be fully in contact with the brining liquid for some period of time. Simply wrapping the meat in a cloth that has been soaked with a brining solution won't have much, if any effect.[p]Bob

• yaB,...Rita..[p]There are far more qualified folks than me on this forum who can better speak to brining experiences...However, what yab says make a lot of sense....and is accurate