Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small BGE users ?

rzrrobrzrrob Posts: 162
edited 7:54PM in EggHead Forum
With a small filled with lump how long will it hold at 450 - 500

Thanks
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    Do my steaks at 550-600 and a best guess is at least 45-60 minutes. Nest time I do a high heat burnoff will time it. Just guessing!
    ·
  • Atleast a few hours. What are you cooking? At that temp you shouldn't need much time. I do whole chickens in mine all of the time. They usually take an hour at 400ish, and I still have plenty of fuel left over.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
    Kinda hard to say. Depends on how the lump stacks up in the egg. What are you planning to cook?
    ·
  • rzrrobrzrrob Posts: 162
    Mutipal pizzas over 5 hours I wanted to see if I would have to reload the lump
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Rob, I've held 600 for a couple hours doing a clean burn and still had lump left. You gonna crank out some of those great pizzas on the small?
    ·
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
    You probably won't make 5 hours but it's worth the effort. The biggest problem I see is opening it a lot may cause you to spike the temp and have to try to get it back down. Good luck ;) Let us know
    ·
  • rzrrob wrote:
    Mutipal pizzas over 5 hours I wanted to see if I would have to reload the lump

You will need to reload for sure.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
    Yes looking to do a few partys and may want a small for easy moves buy don't want to have to reload more then once
    ·
  • I do all my burn tests in a small Egg at 400 degrees. The various brands have lasted between 4 and 9 hours.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
    What brand lasted the longest
    ·
  • I have had mine go 4-5 hours at 450.
    ·