Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me get my Mojo on...

Options
BigGreenDon
BigGreenDon Posts: 167
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never tried it before, but got a bottle of the Goya Mojo Criollo and have a whole chick cut in half marinating in it now.

Usually, I'm a "apply rub and let the chicken sit a while until the fire is ready" kind of guy, but in this case I'm wondering if putting rub on this chicken would be a wise move. The tastes of the rub and marinade might be at odds with one another.

I'm looking for advice from others who have used this or similar marinades. Should I just take the chicken our of the zip lock and throw it on the grill? Should I pat it dry? Apply rub? If I don't pat dry, will the acidity of the marinade help or hurt me from getting crispy skin?

Whaddayathink? I've got almost 4 hours to figure out what to do.

Thanks,
Don

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Since you have never tried this marinade I would suggest patting it dry and cooking it without a rub. Otherwise, how will you know if you like this marinade or not? :unsure:
  • BigGreenDon
    Options
    Point taken!

...but this stuff sure smells good from the bottle...
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like mojo or at other times Italian salad dressing and when taken out of the bag drain some and throw on grill. Why waste the marinade? Depending on length of cook the rest of the marinade is a good basting mix, sometimes I will add BBQ sauce and marinade the birds.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Richard, It's a good food safety practice to either reserve some marinade for using later, or if you want to re-use the used marinade, bring it to a rolling boil for 4 minutes before using it as a basting sauce or dipping sauce.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You are right, I forgot that item. Thanks.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I just tried that marinade last weekend. Loved it, mine was Conchita brand, but it is the same basic stuff. I took the chicken out of the marinade and then put on some fresh ground lemon pepper. It was delicious!

002-53.jpg

003-52.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Criollo is awesome stuff! I've never done a whole chicken, but I have done thighs and legs a time or two. I usually marinate for a few hours (though Molly tells me 24 would be better!) and then throw it on the egg. Raised direct @ about 400°. Salt & pepper, no rub.

I usually use cherry wood for smoke. Tastes great. Doesn't look too shabby either...

4101269668_d474558f9d_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC05735JPGaaaa.jpg

I just drain the bag and go to the cooker with the chicken. I haven't used the storebought mojo's that often but if they have a higher oil content, keep your eye on the skin. When I do breasts, I often remove the skin.

DSC05758JPGaaa.jpg

DSC05772JPGaaa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    nm
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    When I was working on mojo pork, I tried that mojo sauce and really didn't care for the flavor. If I were going to try some mojo chicken, I think I'd try the same recipe I used for the pork:

Mojo Pork

mojosmall.jpg
    The Naked Whiz