Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LeCreuset on the Egg

Options
elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5 quart dutch oven - got it a few years back at an outlet. I haven't used it very much and am wondering how it will fare on the egg? I haven't seen any posts with pics of LC on the eggs - anyone have any experience with this??

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Elizabeth:

I don't have any LC, but I know MadMax uses it quite often and hasn't had any problems...if I remember correctly though, don't use the lid as the knob isn't made for higher temps.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I do it all the time. No problems at all.

If you're going north of 450&deg it won't hurt to remove the knob.
  • triehle98
    Options
    I have had great luck removing the smoke color from my cobalt blue LeCreuset 13.5 quart roaster. Just a little elbow grease and some dawn got it clean as a whistle! I dont have any clean pictures of it but here it is , it looks almost black, would you have guessed it was cobalt blue? ( I did wrap the exterior with HDAF but it didnt help at all. the smoke still made it to the enamel.
    58336_1313360769031_1681039471_611411_1119120_n.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

As I recall MadMax has and extensive collection of LC and uses them on the egg.

I have used mine on the egg it does get sooty and takes a little scrubbing to get it clean. With my LC I now put aluminum foil just to save what washing steps I can.

This is a cheaper type of Ceramic Cast Iron.
    chili1.jpg

chili1.jpg

Same pan heating up pulled pork for sandwiches
    barbacoa2.jpg

Cioppino done in the LC stock pot.
    eggcioppinoa.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

No problems at all.

If you have the manual it will tell you what temperature the pot will take.

Full molded handles will take more heat than the 'other' types of handles. That just a function of the material the handle is made out of.

GG
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    I read a suggestion to put dish soap on the outside before egging. Haven't tried it yet.
  • elzbth
    Options
    Thanks for posting...I don't even know what I might cook - probably a stew. I'll post pics when I do... :laugh:
  • elzbth
    Options
    Thanks! I'll be sure to remove the knob....I really have not used it that much, and never in the oven. I always seem to scorch whatever I'm cooking in it. :sick:
  • elzbth
    Options
    Well I have not had any luck using mine on the stove, so I guess I don't have anything to lose. Glad you mentioned the smoke. I don't mind a "little" elbow grease (ha ha) - if it were easy anybody could do it. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks! :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    No need to remove the knob unless you plan to cook at high temps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I seem to do the same thing and am always de-glazing/scrubbing.

Kent
  • elzbth
    Options
    GG - thanks for the info...I have a green one - they have since discontinued this color. I have been on the fence about purchasing a CI DO, but since I have one that I rarely use was hoping someone on the forum could give me advice. I'll remember to wrap with HD foil, I'm definitely going to give it a go! ;)
  • elzbth
    Options
    Hmmm, have to thing about that. Wonder how the heat would affect the soap - wouldn't want to make a stinking mess. On the other hand - wonder what about Pamming it? BTW - love your profile pic! :)
  • elzbth
    Options
    Thanks - I'm thinking my first cook with be something like stew, probably safe at 350 dome.
  • elzbth
    Options
    KoKG posted a note about using soap on the exterior?? Not too sure about that, but what about Pam? Don't want to make a bigger mess with either. But if it saves clean up time???
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Pam might be a good idea.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I noticed using the foil for him didn't work. I didn't keep my pan completely clean but it was better than direct exposure.

I responded below but I think that might be a great idea. Make sure you have a secure grip on the pan when moving it back and forth.

Kent
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    It works, both the cast iron and the porcelain or whatever clay they use. I don't worry about the smoke because if you clean up right after cooking it comes right off in my experience. Brillo pads.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Morning Elzbth, I have a bunch of LC and use it on the egg all the time. I do prefer my cast iron though just for the ease of clean up. once it is seasoned it almost wipes clean. and with the black exterior :whistle: smoke?? what smoke LOL collected the vintage stuff in the LC for a long time and have some great small pieces perfect for cooking for just two or three. and med ones two but tend to favor the cast iron.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    LC on the Egg works mightyfine - We use Emile Henry and Corningware on the Egg as well. Haven't tried the soap on the outside yet but will next time.
    Dessert
    IMG_3414800x600.jpg
    Breakfast
    IMG_2069800x600.jpg
    Breakfast
    IMG_1244800x600.jpg
    Breakfast
    IMG_0175800x600.jpg
    Breakfast
    IMG_6034800x600.jpg
    Fish Veracruzano
    IMG_1985800x600.jpg
    Veggies
    IMG_1456800x600.jpg
    More veggies
    IMG_4890800x600.jpg
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    I use liquid dish soap on the outside of all three of my Le Cruset pots, simply wipe on a thin layer prior to going on the egg. You do not get any smell, etc... and the soot wipes off with ease.

Try it and I think you will become a believer. I think that the pam would bake on and become one with the finish.

ChrisC
  • elzbth
    Options
    Thanks for the information...my husband has picked up a few CI pieces at yard sales over the years, but no DO YET (he he). I think I'm going to give the LC a go soon - ;)
  • elzbth
    Options
    WOW! I've got some Corningware and a couple of Cuisinart pieces too (got them at Tuesday Morning dirt cheap). Will put them all to good use soon! ;)
  • elzbth
    Options
    Thanks Chris- the "baked on" consideration was a concern for me. Will try the soap and see what happens!