Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE

Options
Tidecreek
Tidecreek Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
We just bought our first egg after drooling over them for a couple years. I cooked a steak from the cookbook two minutes on each side then shut down for two minutes and it was perfect but I tried to do BBQ chicken and it came out okay a little burned I think my husband was a little exhuberant with the temperature (I wanted to sear it first then do it indirectly until it was cooked) and he just tossed it on there, it got a bit burnt on the outside but thanks to the brine was still nice and moist, so I guess theres a learning curve to this (Isin't there to everything:) Just curious what other people started with while they were learning.
Becky

Comments

• MusicMan78
    Options
    My first cook was babyback ribs done exactly as shown in the DVD that came with the egg...they came out great!!

Before:
    bge14.jpg

After:
    bge15.jpg
  • outrageous
    Options
    chicken is great on a raised grid.....or indirect...congratulations on purchase,,,,,,keep cooking and playing with different meals. it is a different but great world.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Tidecreek
    Options
    I thought the DVD was pretty excellent for beginners, I watched it a couple times, but the Ribs is a good idea, I've never done those on the grill, I usually smoked them for a couple hours and then finished them in the oven because I coulden't maintain the heat in my other BBQ/Smoker for very long.
  • Redmono
    Options
    Welcome!! I have had my large BGE for two weeks and love it!!

Have cooked two whole chickens (indirect, plate setter, around 400F for 1h15m), cedar planked salmon (soaked planks for a few hours, direct around 380F for 30min), and marinated chicken thighs (indirect, plate setter, 400F for 50 min), and everything so far turned out GREAT!

Plan to marinate a chuck roast tonight and cooked it tomorrow at 250F for 4-6 hours, and then cook corn on the cob while the check roast rests.

Lots of great help and info here!!!
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    My 1st cook was a spatchcock chicken. So juicy that it ran down our chins when we ate it. Keep reading, cooking and posting, and you'll start trying stuff that you never thought that you would cook on a grill!
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    One of the best features of the BGE is it's ability to go low and slow. When you get your vents set correctly it loves to hum at 250* until you run out of charcoal. Unlike an oven it's not heating up and cooling down; it's maintaining a steady temp.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome Becky! you are going to love your egg :) any help or questions there is a great search feature above for the fastest help and lot of here to help too :) welcome :) Julie
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Welcome to the madness! :cheer: You are gonna love it!
    Chicken is hard to mess up, but it sounds like you hubby almost did. First of all, DON'T SEAR, I suppose some folks do, but most cook chicken on a raised grid [cooking grid at the felt line or higher] around 350 degrees. Some cook direct, some indirect, doesn't seem to matter much. A little olive oil, some rub or just S&P, that's all you need.
    Do a search for "Spatchcock Chicken", it is easy and maybe the best chicken you ever ate.
    Enjoy :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Capt Frank is right, spatchcock chicken is the best chicken you will ever eat and is a simple cook. My son-in-law is in the Army and deployed recently and his going away dinner was spatchcock chicken served with fresh tortillas and home made pico di gallo. For dessert, throw on a peach cobbler which is just as easy. Welcome aboard.
  • schwim
    Options
    Hey Becky, we got our BGE 2 weeks ago and have used it every day except 2. Things we've done:

Mahi Mahi, grilled
    Swordfish with fried capers and garlic
    Pizza, thrice
    Nann
    Puerto Rican Grilled Pork Chops
    Alder Plank Wild Sockeye Salmon, native american style, with a juniper berry rub and coated in berry compote
    Burgers (best we ever ate)
    Breakfast of sausage, eggs and muffins
    Pork tenderloins stuffed with prunes and wrapped with bacon
    Prosiccuto wrapped asparagas, twice
    Twice egged potaotes, twice
    Simon and Garfunkel chicken x2.

We're just getting warmed up, and this thing is awesome in every respect. Good luck. If you're intereseted in a cookbook, check out Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbeque for some great ideas. I think I'll probable also get his Barbeque Bible.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I'm impressed!!
  • Tidecreek
    Options
    Well I can't wait until I get off my stretch at work (the next 5 days:() My husband was building a table so he made me wait which was torture... The Table is gorgeous its 5 ft long with the egg in one side and a Stainless steel plate around the egg, and then he's going to put Granite on the other side so I can set hot stuff on it without burning anything, but waiting for all the coats of varnish to dry was torture, but the EGG looks amazing in its final nest. I bought the BGE Cookbook, and I have Steven Raichlens BBQ bible and my whole pig was delivered yesterday so Fall should be a great time. Thanks everyone for all the Ideas, I've done Spatchcocked chicken before so will have to do that again, do most of you brine or not with the BGE??
    :evil:
  • Tidecreek
    Options
    Well I can't wait until I get off my stretch at work (the next 5 days:() My husband was building a table so he made me wait which was torture... The Table is gorgeous its 5 ft long with the egg in one side and a Stainless steel plate around the egg, and then he's going to put Granite on the other side so I can set hot stuff on it without burning anything, but waiting for all the coats of varnish to dry was torture, but the EGG looks amazing in its final nest. I bought the BGE Cookbook, and I have Steven Raichlens BBQ bible and my whole pig was delivered yesterday so Fall should be a great time. Thanks everyone for all the Ideas, I've done Spatchcocked chicken before so will have to do that again, do most of you brine or not with the BGE??
    :evil:
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    3 Weeks with a BGE

Spatchcock chicken - amazing
    Tenderloin Steaks - amazing
    Baby back ribs - amazing
    Low and slow butt - really amazing
    Apple cobbler - never would have guessed but amazing
    Chicken wings - amazing
    Ribeye's - amazing
    Alder planked salmon - amaizing
    Banana Bread - amazing
    Side dishes - all amazing

Pizza tonight - will it be amazing

SKOL VIKINGS!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

First day, T-Rex steaks, chicken, brauts, dogs, corn.

You are in for a lot of fun and also looking back and saying why didn't we do this before.

GG
  • schwim
    Options
    This egg is very impressive! Lol, and how could I have forgotten the grilled Kasari cheese and Banannas Foster Rum Flambe!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Becky, Welcome to the forum. I forget I need to get a pad of paper and a pencil. It was great what ever it was I think. :blink: You will not believe how much cooking on the BGE will change you life. Soon you will be going to eggfests...enjoy the BGE forum there is no other place like it. ;) Tim