Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Science Project

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza.jpg
<p />Okay....sure didn't plan it this way, but something may have been learned in the process! [p]This pizza was almost as good as the ones made at the party a couple weeks ago. [p]If you have been following the past day or two, you know what is goin on...but here is a summary:[p]Same dough frozen then thawed and used as soon as it was soft was horrible. [p]Another piece of the same dough thawed, then refrigerated overnight, then set on the counter in the morning. After 4 hours, or so, Katman and I gave up on it after it did not rise anymore . Forgot to throw away. Kids played with it yesterday evening, squishing it every time they walked by. Woke up this morning and it had risen more. Posted on the forum "what should I do with it". Decided to go ahead and try a pizza after hearing more forum talk....Sprinter was especially optimistic.[p]Not bad. Not sure exactly what I learned, but not giving up is one thing. Also, letting frozen dough go through a full day rise might not be a bad thing.
Heee!
Chris

[ul][li]Earlier today[/ul]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Dude that is one ugly pizza. Kind of shaped like jabba the hut. Theys s'posed to be round, yo.[p]Bet he was tasty, though.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I think it kinda looks like the face of a chameleon. See the eyes on the lower far left and right?[p]Yeah, it wasn't bad, and another one (from half of the same doughball) will be going on soon. I'll try and do better![p]Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Not sure of the chemistry behind all of that stuff but I do know that the longer you let dough rise, i.e. punch down, rise, punch down, rise etc. the better it will be. Maybe not better but it sure doesnt hurt it. It has something to do with the gluten in the flour, the stuff that holds the flour together, the more you allow that to strech, come back, stretch etc. the end product is effected in some way. I LOVE to let my sour dough breads sit in the fridge a long time, and I typically give them a couple of rises on the counter also, rise, punch down, rise punch down. As long as the yeast continues to cooperate and it continues to rise it should be fine.[p]Glad all came out well. Now you have me thinking that a pizza may be good tonight, or a calzone. May just have to throw one or two of those bad boys on the egg.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy, since was you and you said science project as soon as I opened it I thought it was an orange moon rock or something.

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Yeah - I can see the chameleon - or kind of like The Fly. You should see some of the monstrosities that I've produced - sometimes they're so hideous they have to be converted to calzones on short notice. Hey - if we were all about pretty food we probably wouldn't eat pigs and whatnot and hang out on this site.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    yo, willy.
    what the dilly, yo?
    you be mockin a man's pie? [p]dat ain't cool, yo.
    sumtimes we FINK sumpin sposeta be bettah when it's round, but when we get down to bizniss, we take what we can get.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sort-of like Sponge Bob with a sunburn....
    Anyway, I'll take a shot at your ... "conundrum" ;)
    There's a LOT of variables involved, from the amount of yeast you used to make the dough, to the quality/age of it, to the temperature of the area it was resting in all day...[p]Basically, the cold will make the yeast sleep. You might lose some during the freeze, but it they're healthy when put into the freezer, there should be no problems when you thaw the dough. I've found that thawing frozen dough is trickier than most books let on. First, the yeast is NOT going to start to rise until it gets warmed up. Depending on the room temperature and the amount of dough, this could easily take an hour or two. Even as it thaws, the colder it is, the more slowly it will rise. [p]As to the alcohol odor, in baking circles, they actually talk about the dough fermenting. The process by which the yeast does it's dirty work generates alcohol and C02. The C02 gets trapped in the gluten, causing the dough to rise. The alcohol adds to the flavor of the dough.[p]Taking a wild shot here.... I'd guess the yeast you used may have been out dated, or on its last legs, and got beat up a bit during the freeze. Secondly, I'd guess that the room it was rising in was in the mid to upper 60's temperature wise... In the future, if the dough needs a nudge, put it in a gas oven, where the pilot will keep it warm, or pre-heat an electric oven to just 100 or so, and turn it off.... A bowl of hot water in the same oven (either method) could help too.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Chris,[p]Here is what you learned.....[p]It takes "kids" to have great pizza :~)[p]That is a fantastic mouth watering looking morsel... I love melted cheese :~)[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Evenin' Bob!
    You could be right. The kids definitely make it even mo betta. Jenna helped me dress this one up. Here is my second.....and slightly rounder....attempt of the day.[p]Hope you are well. Missed you at Eggtoberfest! You gonna come down one of these years?
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Forget the science project, have them kids make pizzas look like different states. Have fun man, no round pizzas for you.[p]
    CWM

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Brilliant idea!! Sounds like a challenge though. If I can't make a ball of dough round, how the hell am I gonna do Maryland?[p]maybe we'll start with Kansas.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You just did Hawaii, add a few small ones for the islands.[p]I'd worry about Texas.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I'll have to get the XL back from Qfan for that one!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • maria52
    maria52 Posts: 1
    Options
    Cool science project! I saw this website listed on a good home schooling website and thought I'd mention it in this thread, in case anyone is looking for other science projects &  science experiments....Experiland: http://www.experiland.com/