Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One last post before getting rid of BGE

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Preheating the Egg for pizza two hous is way too long. Once I make sure everything is in the Egg first after I lite it not after it hits temp, It should not take more than 45 minutes from lighting the Egg til it is ready, remember to leave the top cap off and the bottom vent wide open. Once your at 450 or so you can put the top back on and adjust the top for 500, pizza at 500 should take about 15 minutes or so, try a different dough, usually my second pizza is bettter than the first.
  • Frontier is pretty smokey - especially the Made in Mexico lump. I have used it a lot in the past ($14.27/40# bag at Sam's) but have recently moved away from it - it sparks real bad when lighting with a weed burner. I suggest picking up some Royal Oak from Walmart and then trying some different brands after that.

I'm surprised you didn't know you had to wait for the bad smoke to clear. Waiting for the bad smoke to clear is pretty basic - You should watch the video and peruse the Naked Whiz site - your trek up the learning curve will be must faster.

Good luck.
  • cheapskate wrote:
    Thanks for the response. When I say I can't get the ceramic past 500 degrees, what I mean is that I preheat the grill with the platesetter/stone in place for an hour or more. the temp reads 650 to 700 degrees. To check the temp of the dome, I then shut down both vents, wait a few minutes and read the temp. According to something I read here or on the instructions, the ceramic holds the heat for a long time, so that reading a few minutes after cutting off air to the fire should be the temp of the ceramic, right?

Do you mean that you are completely shutting down before attempting to cook and then counting on the residual heat from the ceramics?
  • no, just shutting down for a few minutes to see how hot the ceramic is.
  • cheapskate, Shutting the egg down to see how hot the ceramic is. I have never done that before. What is the reasoning. I don't understand. Tim
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I'm not sure that the ceremic temp is of any importance. We all cook by the temp we observe on the themometer in the egg. Remember that the grate temp is lower then the dome temp. Allowing the smoke to become clean is quite important the taste of the food. Good luck to all.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Huh?

That's about the most convoluted thing I've ever read. When you cut the air off, the fire is going to die. Who cares what the temperature of the ceramic is? Even if you do care, a thermometer that is in the air inside the dome isn't going to read the temperature of the ceramic. It is always going to read the temperature of the air inside the dome.
  • Not to be mean, but Is this person a joke?!? I've heard stories about people coming on the board pulling pranks!
  • Just wondering if you have watched the DVD that should have come with your Egg at time of purchase or one of the several Egg related videos on YouTube?
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I don't feel like reading all the responses, but if this is a real post I'm sure there are eggheads In your area that will gladly come by for an hour and show you what you are doing wrong.
  • Dont feel like reading all the post. My guees is you shouldnt owen a BGE,, SO let me know if you want to sell it or trade for a newer Webber?
  • I can't remember where I read that about checking the heat of the ceramic. Somebody had a link to a website about heating the grill that I read, but I can't find that link now. Their reasoning was that the heat radiated from the ceramic was what was needed to get the brick oven effect. OK, I'll forget that. I'm going to check my thermometer, then experiment with some of the ideas you guys gave me. Thanks.
  • For those that don't feel like reading all the posts, that's ok. you can read as few or many as you want, or none. To suggest that I "shouldn't own a BGE" is pretty arrogant. Fact is, I do own one, thanks to the suggestions and endorsements of many here. Now, I'm inclined to either get some decent results from it, or dump it. If I do dump it, it will be locally, since the thing weighs a ton. Thanks for your offer anyway.
  • Please tell me I'm wrong regarding my suspicions as to your cooking technique. Are you saying that you bring your Egg to a certain temperature, then close the daisy wheel and the lower vent and expect the ceramics to maintain that temperature to cook whatever? These suspicions are based on your post regarding ceramic temperature and your reference to baking steaks.
    Also, you certainly don't need a plate setter for burgers or steaks.
  • cheapskate, :)

I don't know anything about you but I do know if you are real and you seem to be you should get a handle on this and work on one cook at a time. Get back to basics so to speak. If you want use this forum and cook on your egg and post pic's and take some criticism.

Not being a smart ass but, we have had posters in the past that would say they had problems but really they were pulling our leg. So, come back as often as you want there will always be someone here for you.

Now here is another suggestion. Plan your cook and post what you want to cook here on a new post and consider what you will do. Tim Have a good day! :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Sounds like you've been Tweeved :laugh: Really it's just a grill/ smoker, although a very efficient one, and most mistakes I've seen here come from over thinking it. Take one of your favorite recipes either grill or oven that your familiar with and try it on the egg. You have received some great advice in this thread so kick back, relax and cook your family favorite ;) The learning curve is not that big if you don't over complicate it.
  • No, I don't use the plate setters for steaks. I only checked the temp of the ceramic after I was having problems. Somebody directed me to a link that talked about getting the temp stabilized and I think that's where I read about the whole heat of the ceramics thing.
  • OK, I took a doughball for pizza out of the fridge at 3, I'll fire up the grill tonight and try it again for pizza. I've been reading up, and this is the plan:

1) New lump coals up to the bottom of the ring.

2) Get a good light, then put platesetter with legs down and stone on top.

3) Close dome, open drafts all the way.

4) Shoot for 450 - 500 degrees on the dome thermometer

5) Wipe stone with wet rag until it doesn't sizzle anymore, then put on pizza and cook til done (about 10 minutes).

Does that sound right?

My question is, what is the difference between cooking in the convection oven at 500 degrees vs. on the egg at 500 degrees? I thought the whole brick oven effect was achieved at temperatures higher than you could get in the oven.
  • JMo
    JMo Posts: 23
    Use this forum for help before, during and after your next cook. Everyone is willing to help. There will be answers and advice within minutes. I have been cooking on the egg for two years now and my cooks have improved from the help I received on this forum.

In the beginning I over-smoked many things because I was using the wrong lump with too much wood for the flavor I wanted. Try Royal Oak. Start with fruit woods and use small amounts until you find what you like.

Don't give up. The Egg can do it all. But if decide it’s not for you let us know. Many are looking to add to their Egg collection.

JMo
    Grand Rapids Mi.
  • Put something between the platesetter and stone - little green feet or three wads of HDAF. Need a little separation between the rocks.

I have had my eggs over 800 but prefer to do my Zas around 500. Go higher if you like.
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Hey, please don't sell your egg! There are a lot of us in Texas so I know we can get you some help. You could start a post for "San Antonio Eggers" and see if there are some people in your area. We're in N. Texas so not too close. But don't give up, it's worth it when you get it right!
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Don't point him to any more stuff to read or watch. If he's a troll, he's a troll. I don't know, but from following the thread I think he's a guy who's genuinely trying, but has over-analyzed and over-read already. He needs to quit reading and watching video and start cooking.

Perhaps with some Q&A. B)
  • I went to clean out my coals from the brisket I cooked yesterday. Even after a 8 or 9 hour cook, it seemed like hardly any coals had burned up, there were a bunch that were still completely black. I guess that's why I'm not getting a clean burn, because there is still lots of new fuel. Do I need to use less, or leave the dome open longer to get all the coals started?
  • Had the BGE for 3 weeks.....10 wonderful and fun cooks.....we have found that it not only the best way cook but it's an experience each time. Instead of boring meals we are now making things we never would have dreamed about.....

If I can do what I have done in 3 weeks any one can.....
  •  
    I see a lot of folks have weighed in on this thread. I am sure there is some great information above.

Most everyone on the forum can help, but only if you ask.

Sorry this is long but there is a lot of complaining and wrong information to talk about.

The following is 'constructive criticism'. You asked

"Can any of you tell me what I'm doing wrong?"

You are your own biggest problem. Stop bitching about everything and lets get to helping you sort things out. If you can't get past this first comment you may well be better off selling your egg.

I will try and run down your list as I can remember the comments.

Pricing - The egg cost what it costs. I have 4 eggs and all have been over full retail. My large $1150. Some folks get a new large, nest, plate setter, ash clean out tool and some lump at eggfests for about $650. I have spent much more money buying water smokers gas grills, briquette smokers than I ever have on all my eggs put together

All the accessories are not necessary, and there are many ways of making most everything we consider accessories for next to nothing. For example RRP has several times posted a ash clean out tool which probably cost less then $3. to make. To me it looks better then the BGE ash tool. Yet you could make yourself one out of a wire coat hanger a few bends and some aluminum foil on the 'drag end' - next to free.

The comment about "There isn't anything you can do with it as it comes. You'll need additional accessories for everything you want to do." That is so far off base it is laughable.

For indirect heat, a platesetter at $65. Use a second webber grid and a round stainless steel pizza pan (apx $22). Or don't use one at all. Chicken direct tastes great. For baking, a stone at $45. Go to a ceramic store and buy a kiln shelf one for the large would cost about $18.

For high heat searing, a cast iron grill (why do they even include that crappy stainless grill?). What you are referring to as a grill is the 'grid' and it is one of the best grids I have seen on the market. You don't need a Cast Iron grid for a good sear/cook.

You'll have to get a stand (nest) or table before you use it, and those are expensive. As I said above if you get an eggefest egg the next is included. Or you could make a wooden stand out of 2 x 4's Cost porbably under $15. Find some used 2x4 you can get for free.

Grill grabbing tongs - come on give me a break this is just pure complalining. At some point in your life you have a tongs from a previous grill.

Be prepared to pay almost double by the time you buy all accessories. Once again, not a problem, but I didn't realize it before I bought it, so just be aware. Again, just complaining and absolutely not true.

2) Steaks/Burgers - If you like your steaks baked, the BGE is perfect. I have broiled steaks, but baking - that's for meatloaf. I will give you the benifit of the doubt and think you really meant seared the steaks. There are many methods of searing the steaks, the length of the sear/each side will depend on how you loaded the lump and how thick your steaks are. My steaks rival Ruth Crist Steakhouse Steaks. IMO, can't get better than that.

Try cooking to temperature and not time. Your life will be much easier and your food will taste much better - better than you can find at restaurants.

For ease of cooking I think most of us would be eating TV dinners. Good tasting food will take a little effort on your part.

If you are getting a acrid taste in your food you haven't let the lump stabilize or your are putting in wood chips that are "burning" and are putting of acrid flavors. You can easily check this buy putting your hand over the top vent then smelling the aroma in your hand. If the aroma is acrid you food will taste acrid. If the aroma is pleasant again the food will have a pleasant taste.

I have found Cowboy lump has very little wood flavor when cooking. BGE (Royal Oak) has a nice light flavor. Mesquite lump is a very strong distinctive flavor. Again you are going to need to find your likes and dis likes. Cook chicken for testing. The chicken cooks relative quick and will impart the lump and or flavor wood quickly. It's also nice being able to taste all the different flavors.

"i tried cooking at very high heat with the top open, like you would on a normal grill, but then you're just cooking on flames. You don't grill with flames roaring either. If your lump is flaming you are going to cook in flames, close the dome, restrict some of the air flow through the egg.

There is no adjustment to raise or lower the grill a bit like on some charcoal grills. I don't want to cook on flames and burn the outside. I don't see any use for this grill to cook steaks or burgers. Can any of you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Oh how wrong you are my friend. Most people don't think about it but you can raise and lower the grid easily. Remove the fire ring and place the grid on the fire box - 2" close to the lump bed. Get some fire bricks (axp $2) and a cheap weber grid and raise the trid from 2 to 6". Both solutions are all but free. Absolutely no cost, have you ever thought of lowering or raising the lump bed. Load only to the bottom of the vent holes in the fire box and you effectively have made a raised grid at no cost.

Load the lump just above the air holes in the fire box and remove the fire ring, place the grid on the top of the fire box and you now have a perfect setup for a very nice meat sear. Remove the meat, replace the fire ring then place the grid on the fire ring and then the meat. Perfect height for the slow roast and you don't have to wait for the egg to cook down.

2) Baking - One of the main reasons I got this thing was I thought it would be like a brick oven. I've not been able to break the code yet, and I've tried a number of times. With the placesetter and pizza stone in place... There are some fantastic pizza cooks on the forum, you need to start reading and heading their instructions. The folks have show in detail egg set ups and temperatures.

If you pie is cooking too fast on top, your dome temperature is too high. If you crust is burning and not getting the toppings cooked right your pit temperature is too low. The egg is fantastic for a 'brick oven' cook.

3) Low/slow - This is a topic of its own so just a couple of comments.

Get a thermometer that will read fast and read "CORRECT" temperatures. Don't do cheapskate here. I am not being a smart ass here, I have a real habit of thinking I can make or get something cheaper than what is suggested only finding out I end up spending more money/time/energy than if I just followed the suggestions for the forum folk.

There is no need to check you egg thermometer with other oven thermometers. Take 5 minutes and put you dome thermometer in a pot of boiling water and using a 7/16" wrench adjust the temperature which is and exact temperature. Remember take of 0.05° for every 500 feet above sea level. With your comments I would think you have never calibrated your thermometer and I would bet is is off calibration by more than a few degrees.

You ask...
    Did anyone else have these problems and figure out how to correct them?

At one time or another I would venture to guess everyone has to one extent or another.

Now if you got this far. Think about this. You are one person who sounds like you are disgusted with our egg. There are thousands of people who dearly love their eggs and the food coming off the eggs.

You answer what is the difference with one person and better what can you do to learn more.

Here is a link that will get you some quick answers to common problems

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=950178&catid=1

If you really want help, then ask, I or hundreds of other eggr's will be happy to jump in and help you through your frustrations.

GG
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Unbelievable response. GG you are a true "giver"!!!
    __________ Chris
  • cheapskate wrote:
    I went to clean out my coals from the brisket I cooked yesterday. Even after a 8 or 9 hour cook, it seemed like hardly any coals had burned up, there were a bunch that were still completely black. I guess that's why I'm not getting a clean burn, because there is still lots of new fuel. Do I need to use less, or leave the dome open longer to get all the coals started?

cheapskate, When I first started cooking on my large egg I would stir the ash from the prevous cook take out the lump and make sure the holes in the fire box wwere not blocked then put the lump back in. Now days I only stir the used lump there by knocking the ash to the bottom of the fire box and raking it out. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I wish his tip list could be stickied for all to read when they need reference! some of the best info compiled in one post for new eggers and old!
  • Thanks for the response grandpa. I guess it sounded like bitching rather than reaching out, but I have to admit I was getting incredibly frustrated ruining one meal after another, while my family is questioning why I spend so much on a grill. I promised them that if I couldn't figure it out I'd put it on Craig's list and get most of our money back. I'll take it easy and try a bit longer. I'm not used to failing at cooking, that's always been a strength of mine. It just doesn't seem right that a stupid bbq grill should be so finicky and hard to master.