Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast Time req.

tsbrady
tsbrady Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know you cook to temp not time but does anybody have an idea how long it would take to cook a 4 or 5 # rib roast NakedWhizz style... 500 deg then closed vent to 325?

Comments

• tsbrady wrote:
    I know you cook to temp not time but does anybody have an idea how long it would take to cook a 4 or 5 # rib roast NakedWhizz style... 500 deg then closed vent to 325?

T, I do it for 30 minutes at 500 then 10 - 20 minutes (usually around 17 minutes) per pound at 325.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I do not have any experience with that technique.

I am a big fan of the reverse sear (even without the sear at the end), becuse it is forgiving on the cooking time (hard to overshoot, because temp is going up slowly.

Fof that kind of cook, here is some guidance I pulled off a previous post.

Started with a 8.55lb 3 rib standing rib roast.

Cooked at 235 grate/270 dome with oak/apple until 95 degree's internal. It took 2hrs and 45 minutes to hit this temp. I pulled and rested for 30 minutes while the grill heated up to around 450 degree's to sear on all sides.

After the sear, I cooked at 415 dome temp until reaching 130 degree's. I took an additional 1hr and 5 minutes to hit 130. Total cooking time including the 30 minute rest was 4 1/2 hrs for this 8.5 lb roast.

Here's were I'll make changes in the future. Not having cooked this meat before I wasn't sure on total cook time. It took longer than expected to get all the sides plated etc. and the roast rested for nearly 50 minutes. This roast went from 130 degree internal to 142 degree's. Overshot my desired 135-137 finished temp that I was looking for.
  • I have cooked similar sized rib roasts at 250 dome, indirect, for 3 hours until the meet temp hit 130 internal. Was going to do a reverse sear but the roast had a beautiful crust as it was. It was also cooked evenly throughout the meat cross section.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    great info, thanks eveybody!
  • Did one last night. 500 degrees then cap it off and cook the roast at 325 for 20 min per pound, my 4.5 lb took one hour and thirty five min then rest under tented foil for 15 min. I posted a picture last night.