Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Do you really need a gasket?

Always SmokinAlways Smokin Posts: 111
edited 3:18PM in EggHead Forum
my gaskets have burned off from cooking pizzas.
it is hard not to burn them during a pizza cook over 500 degress. i have tried the nomex, it lasts a lil longer.I have cooked great ribs with no gasket. do I really need a gasket???? what do yall think?
·

Comments

• If all that smoke is coming from between the dome and the main body of the Egg, I'd say.......YES! :(
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,470
    Many people don't bother and seem to have good results. I like the cushioning effect I get with a gasket so I use a Rutland, attached with Permatex Ultra Copper. Installed on bottom only. Works well, laughs at 750° dome. I have them on both my large (almost a year now) and mini (only a few weeks).
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • I agree with Carolina Q gaskets make good bumpers a good test for the low and slow worthiness of you Egg is whether you can control temp and when you close your vents your Egg goes out if these two things happen your gasket is just a cushion.
    FireWalker
    ·
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    I like what C.Q. stated . . . the cushioning effect is really nice to have especially if you have heard the sound of a dome making a "hard landing"! :sick:
    ·
  • Nope!
    ·
  • Try going with out a gasket and be careful and see how you like it. Go with your gut. If your rough on stuff put a gasket on there. Have two eggs one without a gasket for za cooks and one with for lo temp cooks. That is pretty much what I have although I don't go very many za cook at this time. :)
    ·
  • where can i purchase some nomex for reasonable price?
    ·
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    My gasket has been shot for nearly two years, by shot I mean it is essentially cooked off...my two cents is no, especially if you don't do a lot of low and slow or use a fan. 80% of my cooks are lid up anyway.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    They are USELESS!!! B)..IF your dome and base are alighned(sp)correctly.I have cooked 36 hours on one LOAD of lump doibn a lo-n-slo with NO GASKET. ;) I fill to the TOP of the FIRERING. :)
    ·
    lid up??? :huh:
    ·
    B)
    ·
  • Always Smokin, It's always better if you don't have to pay shipping with that said here is Freds music and bbq link and find out if your dealer has it on hand. Good luck what ever you decide.

One other thing try to find out what the pizza cooking eggheads are using for a gasket. Start another post asking for the eggheads who do a lot of pizza cooks on their egg and what gasket they are using and if it is holding up. Then you my get involved in where in their egg they cook their za ie gasket level or higher or lower...at what temp and that all depends on your creation...;)

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nomex+gasket&Search.x=9&Search.y=10
    ·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    I agree I did have one for years.. I did install a new one because I had too many friends who would open the lid and would pretty much drop it and I was more afraid it would chip my egg. I went with the High heat gasket.
    ·