Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzones for Dinner

Options
Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Decided to try something new. Used Bridgeford frozen bread dough for the crust -- quick and easy. Stuffed with spicy pepperoni, mushrooms, pizza sauce, olives, garlic, oregano, and a little motza. Cooked at 500 for about 18 minutes, with extra smoke. Took off, cut in half (fits the plate better), covered with more sauce and topped with extra motza. Excellent! Note: Wife uses an olive to mark her side of the pizza - or in this case, her calzone.

Making Calzones:
101_0110.jpg

Ready to go on the LBGE:
101_0111.jpg

Time to come off:
101_0112.jpg

Ready to eat:
101_0113.jpg

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Those look terriffic! :ohmy: I have thought about making Calzones, you have pushed me over the edge!

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

What a great looking dish. Nice job on the Calzones.

GG
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Eggcellent Cook! Nice pic's!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I just finished dinner about 10 minutes ago and now I'm starvin' again!

Those look great. I will definitely give them a try. So nice and browned on the outside.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Looks yummy...............Roll Tide sugar, Roll Tide. :kiss:
  • Cali Fireman
    Options
    Looks great!!! Awesome!
  • SmokinCajun
    Options
    That has to be the wife's patented "rolled cheese crust" around the edge of yours. Looks GREAT!!

I attempted my first "all whole wheat" dough last night. Used the recipe you sent for overnight method as a base, and adjusted for whole wheat. I’ll try as pizza crust first with one of the three balls dough. If it works, I will definitely try to use for calzone tonight!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Makes me want to try it. NOW! LOL.

Great job.
  • SmokinCajun
    Options
    I have to work on that dough recipe some more.... Did not get a rise in the dough. The flavor was fine. Wife liked the crust better since it was super thin. Ate pizza last night and had "left over" calzone for lunch today. Beat my normal can of soup by a mile, but still needs some work.

I flipped the calzone after about 8 minutes and cooked another 4-5 minutes all at around 500 degrees. Seemed to come out nicely cooked. Crust was nice and crisp on the outside. Used some EVOO on pan and used stone under pan. Did you flip yours? Yours sure looked nice when done. Also, how do you close your edges? I tried a fork like you would a pie top. It only opened in one small spot and oozed a little cheese out. Considering I had pepperoni (greasy, but good!) and around 6oz of cheese inside, I don't guess that's too bad.