Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks stuck to the grill

GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This seems simple but over the weekend I did a couple of sirloin steaks and they stuck to the grill. I tried to remove them after a few minutes but they would not release without tearing so I left them on for a bit longer. I then did flip them and did the other side for a couple of minutes but I could not leave them in the Egg (shut down) as recommended sicen I new they would be over done.[p]I had the Egg up to about 800 deg and then it cooled down to 550 (I have not idea why as everything was wide open and daisy was off.[p]Steak was good but I would have prefered a bit rarer. It was medium.
Do I just need to Pam the gril before I start to cook?[p]Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    GJ,[p]You can try Pam - I would put it on the steak since at 800 deg spraying directly on the grid will get you a flame or worse maybe. I coat my steaks with pepper/sea salt and I have a little problem with sticking meat but a spatula works for me.[p]If your vents were open and you lost dome temp - one of two things did it.[p]1. something restricted oxygen flow to the fire [p]2. you ran out of fuel[p]My guess is #2 800 deg dome requires lots of fuel!!! Lots[p]Tim
  • GJ, Pam? yes, yes, yes. BTW I bought a 20" metal garbage can lid from the hardware store for $1.50 and use that to soak my grill from time to time. Beats having momma kat throw a hissy-fit about her sink. ^oo^~

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    GJ,[p]Sorry to hear about your peoblem! Just a thought, when you get your egg get up to 800*, is the grill on? It's important that the grill (poceline covered) get hot too. If you're doin' that, well, I'm stumped! Pam might ge the answer. They make a grilling product. I guess it won't break down as fast at high temps. Give that a try. One more idea, I've been doing the mustard coated steak thing. A little of the crust (formed by the mustard) has come off, but not the steak![p]Good luck with it!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    GJ,
    Like the others have said, the grate being hot is important to get the food to "release" itself after a bit of searing. The high temp pam works well, but apply before you put your grate in....even the high temp pam flames up pretty good if srayed near your fire. During my first 10 months of egging, I have not had a problem with food sticking.[p]As far as your temp going from 800 to 550, my guess is that your fire didn't get any smaller, but the steaks blocked the flames that had been licking the end of the thermometer. [p]Happy Qing!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    GJ,
    I may be just a little picky but before each cook, I clean the grate with Fantastic and soap and water. I also use one of those grate cleaning tools I picked up at Eggfest. Works real good. Then BEFORE it goes on the Egg, I spray it with some PAM. It doesn't seem to matter if it's the high temp kind. Never had a problem sticking and my grate looks like new.
    JimW

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    GJ,
    I have cooked steak twice on the BGE. I put my steaks in a frezeer bag with L&P wocestershire sause, pepper, sea salt, ground ginger, onion salt, garlic salt and last but not least olive oil. Let sit overnight. I get the grill to 750.
    Do a 2/2/3 and remove. The oil coated on the steaks prevent it from sticking.

• Frozen Chosen
    Frozen Chosen Posts: 131
    one feral kat, Hey! The trash can lid is one of the bet idea I've seen posted in a while. I create a holy mess in the kitchen each time I decide to clean the grill. Thanks, and my wife, too, thanks you.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Actually I just toss the grill on the grass and let the bassets have a hell of a time cleaning it. Then put the grill back on the egg and get the egg as hot as I can and take my long handled wire brush and scrape the grill a few times. Then just put the lid down and let it disinfect for a few minutes. I figure nothing is gonna survive that heat and if it does..more power to it! Looks great! For a grate. (sorry...couldn't resist. I'm not very mature.) Something else that works very well is just toss it on the grass and spray it with oven cleaner. Then brush it off, hose it down, and it's spotless.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, That was good...I do the same thing, in fact I went thru a low level BGE house cleaning and high temp brushed all my grills. My porcelain grill has long since bit the dust due to experimentations. Which reminds me..heeeeeee.
    But I Pam, or olive oil my meats and no problems with sticking. Tossing my grates in the grass and using oven cleaners????? Does that make UFO landing spots??
    Yours in Yelping Cheers...C~W[p]

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Actually if you get it off the grass fairly quick, it doesn't do any damage. Certainly not as much as the four doggies I have helping. But I only do the oven cleaner on stuff when it is pretty desperate. That rarely happens. The high temp and wire brush get off about everything.