Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

Options
eggsrgreat
eggsrgreat Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have any advice for cooking a Tri Tip?

Comments

• walrusegger
    Options
    I cook it just like a good steak. Get the egg real hot, 600-650 and sear the outside for a couple minutes, then shut down the vents and let it finish under much lower heat to about 130 internal (medium rare) and let rest about 10 min.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am doing one tonight.
    You want to sear it 550-600 fo a couple of min on each side, pull it off and wrap it until you caan get your egg down to the 400 range, then roast for a few minutes until internal tamp hits 120-125, pull and rest.
    When I move to the roast phase I go to a raised grid setup.
    Go to search forum and type in Tri-Tip, there is lots of info. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I've been doing them quite a bit this year and this one definitely takes the cake.

http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Sorry, when you go to the search forum you have to type in"beef tri-tip" to get anything.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • BurntRaw
    Options
    Really? They probably did that so folks don't get it confused with Chicken or Fish Tri-tip.

Although, I guess they do refer to pork sirloin as pork tri-tip...
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    How fortuitous. Just bought my first one today. Going to give it a balsamic vinegar marinade. Just was going to look to see how the experts do it.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Well, this is going to sound a little bit like a broken record, with a few tweaks.

Season heavily with your favorite rub for beef. Here in Springfield, MO, a lot of people are partial to Pappy's...in fact, the best source for tri-tips in town has them pre-seasoned in the butcher case.

Sear all over at high heat...5 minutes per side or so...I'm not one for real rare beef, and I like a little bark, so I sear a little longer than some other posters.

Now, when I go to the roast phase, I do it slightly different. I take the cooking grate off and rake the coals all to one side of the firebox -- or as much as possible. Throw in a small chunk of hickory at this point, too. Now put the grate on and position the tri-tip so that it is over the empty side of the firebox. It isn't quite an indirect cook, but that is the idea. I raise the grid as well, but didn't have anything to do that with for the first 6 years I cooked tri-tips, and didn't have any problems. Leave the bottom vent open about a half inch and the petals on the DFMT about half open.

You can't fill the firebox as full as you might normally, or the rake doesn't work. Some will call it blasphemy, but I let it roast for about 40 minutes. It's juicy and pink, but not raw meat red. I'm going to guess that I pull it at about 140, though I've never checked it...it's one cook I can get right for my wife and I by feel.

Be patient...let it rest...really. 15 to 20 minutes.
  • eggsrgreat
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking low and slow. Maybe I need to re think
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Tri-Tip2.jpg I grill the Santa Maria style. Salt, Pepper, & garlic salt for seasoning. Grill at 475/500 to an internal temp of 130/135. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so. Slice thin across the grain. Good luck to all.
  • eggsrgreat
    Options
    Sounds good. Pappy's doesn't sell seasoned tri tips do they? I'm from Springfield
  • eggsrgreat
    Options
    Dang that looks good.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    TriTipstorage.jpg I use to buy these by the case and vaccum seal for later use. Good luck to all.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    I start with a high temp sear, then roast to desired doneness. I usually pull them off at 130 internal. Tri tip is really just a large piece of sirloin. Marinades work well on this cut and so does a good beef rub. Let it rest after cooking, and then slice against the grain, be carefull as the grain changes direction in this cut. Here in CA people traditionally cook this cut over oak, I usually throw a chunk or two in the coals during the roasting part of the cook. The leftovers (if there are any)make great sandwiches the next day.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    No, Harter House sells them coated in Pappy's seasoning.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    I'm going to try oak on my next one. I knew there was something more than just the seasoning blend that was different between what I've had in Central CA and what I'm doing. I just get stuck in a hickory rut.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    I like oak on beef.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Thanks for the plug. B)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    He was only giving credit where credit is due. ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Here is one of mine. Did this the Morrow Bay Rich way. Can't go wrong. I like to use apricot wood for the smoke flavor. Very mild but nice.

CIMG2287.jpg

CIMG2290.jpg
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney