Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time for a stuffed turkey?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am grilling my first large turkey (22lbs) stuffed. Does anyone know the cooking time for a stuffed bird? I want to avoid having 16 people waiting around for the bird to get done. Thanks in advance

Comments

• cuppy
    cuppy Posts: 12
    Options
    Maureen Walsh,
    about 6.5 hrs at a dome temp of 350. (actual temp will be
    a little lower than that say 20 deg) and allowing for a few peeks. or increase dome temp if want done sooner

• Maureen Walsh, some would say that it is ill advised to do a turkey with the stuffing in it rather than separate...but for sure if this is your first one, you might want to hedge your bet a bit and do the dressing / stuffing in your oven.

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Maureen Walsh,[p]Watched Alton Brown on food network last night. He did a turkey with stuffing inside. He warned that if not done right the turkey will be done but the dressing will not be. What he did was cook the dressing in some kind of cooking bag in the oven before inserting the dressing into the turkey. Once he had the dressing to pre determined temp., he simply inserted the dressing, bag and all into the cavity and finished in the oven, egg in our case. The turkey and dressing each had their own temp probe and reached desired temp at exactly the same time. Sorry, I don't know how long he cooked dressing prior to placing in cavity. You might be able to look up the receipt on the food network.[p]Hope this helps,
    Caney[p]

• captaincraigb
    Options
    Maureen Walsh,
    I kinda agree with cooking the dressing on the side! you may dry out the turkey trying to get the temp up with the dressing/mass on the inside. I'm thinkong about spathcocking mine.(see thread below)Like mine moist!!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Caney,
    If you're a fan of AB you will know he did that show under diress. He is right in his assesment regarding stuffing and turkeys...Stuffing is Evil. His fans, all screaming about how they love stuffed turkeys, forced him to come up with that half crazy method for stuffing a bird IF YOU HAVE TO.[p]I guarantee if you poke your head in ABs dining room window on T-day you won't be seeing a stuffed turkey.[p]So do your bird on the EGG, and do your stuffing in the oven, and save all of your friends and family from broken teeth or broken toilet seats.[p]HTH

• Sandlapper
    Options
    Bobby-Q is right,[p]Do yourself a favor and flavor at the same time...Do the stuffing on the side and lightly stuff your bird with assorted vegetables...I use carrots, onions, celery (leaves and all) and on occasion apples...
  • Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Thanks for the input. I've never tried AB's method and don't intend to. Better half makes the dressing, oven, which is always great. My preference is doing turkey brest on the egg of course and have never been dissapointed. I take to internal of 163. So moist it is unbelievable, but all the egg heads know that.[p]Take care my friend and have a great Thanksgiving.[p]Caney[p]