Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mike is Right!!!

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If Fiero Guy(Mike Tripp) ever recomends something new to try, take heed!
While we were at Patfest this past weekend, Mike told me I NEEDED to try some Triple tail. At first I thought he was hinting at a small group of bikini clad babes, but he explained it was fish and it is best fried. Mike and I drove down to the seafood market and bought some. Rory and I fried it up tonight using a beer batter topped with panko crumbs. It was fantastic! It is now my new favorite fish. If you haven't tried it before, it needs to be put on your "priority" list! This stuff is awesome. Thanks Mike for the great stear!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    They are good eating and really fun to catch. We find them around the channel markers outside the port. You can sight fish them around the buoys.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Mi hermano Todd....isn't it great to enjoy it with the right person...give Rory a big mexican hug from,,,,,,,,,me..he is the best!!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Big Un...Agreed! Triple Tail is an excellent fish!! Fun to catch, too! Another one you might want to look for is Trigger Fish. Super dense, super meaty, and finding it in fillet form is a HUGE bonus! They have worse skin to get through than shark...but they are delicious!!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Yea Yea I know it taste just like Gator :laugh:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Little Chef
    Options
    Dang...I wish I had some gator ceviche right now!! Thanks for allowing me the honor of your Gator tenderloins. ;) Hope I did 'em justice.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    We catch them in Mexico and they make great ceviche!!
    Those dang triggers eat our kite baits,so I don't feel too bad about using a couple.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Umm, what is triple tail? Must be a "real" name for it, no? Whatever it is, I'll bet I can't get it here. :(

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Big'un
    Options
    Next time I come down there we need to go catch some. They are wonderful!
  • Big'un
    Options
    Beli, Rory said he appreciates the hug from Uncle Beli!
  • Big'un
    Options
    I love trigger fish and the best thing is after you fillet them, you just peel of the skin.
  • Big'un
    Options
    Gator is good too! ;)
  • Big'un
    Options
    It is called Triple Tail. It is also referedto as "Flasher"(gotta love that!). Check with your seafood market;even if they have to order it for you, it is worth it!
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Umm, what is triple tail? Must be a "real" name for it, no? Whatever it is, I'll bet I can't get it here. :(

HERE is a good page on Tripletails.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ahh - one of it's names is Black Perch. I've heard of Perch! :laugh: I will probably have to work at it to get some. I don't eat nearly enough fish - I'll see what I can do. Thanks, guys!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut