Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Appetizers

Options
Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for something different for Thanksgiving appetizers, but not ABT's---Thanks & See-Yaa---Almost beer O'clock here in Arizona

Comments

• LoveHandles, What - your putting aside ABT'S??? Why??? you can 1- make em mild by using milder pepper 2- make em out of turkey to fit the holiday, etc, etc...What about a mild pepper with some kinda sausage stuffing wrapped with bacon? oh, oh and for color put a cooked baby carrot in it. What about that?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    This one will be the talk of the party! You can make believers out of doubters. And it definitely qualifies as "different". [p]Happy 'olidays!
    Chris

[ul][li]Appetizers!!![/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Love Handles
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Way to cool man. I'm going to do it. Hope I can find squid here in the desert. Maybe special order it. You think it will go good with Cave Creek Chile Beer?--Happy Days to ya--Mike

• Love Handles
    Options
    Chet,
    Its not that we don't like the ABT's, just that we seem to have them all the time. But, I do like your ideas for some a little different than usual. Thanks

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    shrimpmushroom1.jpg
    <p />LoveHandles,[p]I like some kind of mushrooms. Sausage stuffed Portabellos or crab stuffed large button mushrooms.[p]
    CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    I think it will go with any beer. Yell if you need suggestions for any substitute ingredients for the sauce or marinade (been playing with some oher stuff).[p]Also, consider removing the fire ring, and setting the grate right on the firebox. The best squidlies I had were on the mini....like 2 inches from the screaming hot coals.[p]Brews onya!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]I'm going to do a roasted butternut squash dip and a smoked catfish dip, with the squash being roasted on the egg and of course the catfish smoked on the egg, too. Then will make the dips...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Rumrunner
    Options
    eg3.jpg
    <p />LoveHandles, how's about some smoked Deviled Eggs? I usually do a dozen and a half. I'll boil them all and then smoke six of them at 200-225° for an hour or so. I then chop all of the smoked ones and add to the yolks from the other twelve. Mix as you normally would. I dusted the smoked eggs with Raging River Rub and also added some to the innerds ;) I like to use mayo, ranch dressing, chili powder instead of paprika, some pepper, garlic powder, maybe some relish if I'm in the mood, plus a tad of hot sauce, again, if I,m in the mood. These are pretty tasty and go over good with most folks. The 'smoke' flavor is not over powering, but subtle in the background.[p]eg5.jpg

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    QBabe, Wow! Please post the details. Those sound so yummy.[p]My wife has been questioning my cooking "attitude" as of late. I'm tired of cooking the same ol stuff, so about a year ago I started trying different things - even things I did not think I would like.[p]Many surprises - for the wife as well as myself![p]Every time she says, "oh wow, this tastes really good!" - my reply is, "think Green, baby!"[p]LVM

• QBabe
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]Here's the catfish spread recipe. The squash one is one I just found in the November Cooking Light Magazine that sounded really good, so it'll be an experiment for me. I'll try and get some pics and will let you know how it turns out.[p]Hope all is well with you and the family.[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Catfish Spread Recipe[/ul]
  • QBabe
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]And, here's the recipe for smoking the catfish (I just haven't had the time to get everything up on my website yet)...[p]Ragin’ Peppered Catfish[p]Pepper Rub….
    3 tbsp coarse-ground black pepper
    2 tbsp kosher salt
    1 ½ tbsp coarse-ground white pepper
    1-2 tsp coarse-ground lemon pepper
    1 tsp onion powder
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper
    ¼ tsp (or a little less, to taste) fine-ground szechuan pepper[p]2-3 lbs catfish fillets
    1-2 tbsp olive oil, or more as needed
    DizzyPig Raging River Rub[p]Mix rub ingredients together and set aside. Coat fillets with olive oil and sprinkle moderately with Raging River Rub. Then, sprinkle heavily with Pepper Rub. Cover with saran wrap and put in refrigerator 2-4 hours or overnight. [p]When ready to cook, preheat the cooker to 250°. Smoke the fillets for 1-2 hours direct on a raised grid, or until flaky. Use a mild wood such as alder or apple.[p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    trout1.jpg
    <p />LoveHandles,[p]Try an ABT variation. Mad Max did some using sweet peppers, a crab/cream cheese filling wrapped with proscuitto that were to die for awhile back. Mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat are another favorite. Depending on how formal of a gathering you are having some homemade stromboli might work. I will be doing some chilled, smoked trout and salmon. [p]Have a good one.[p]Chuck

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    If I do anything, I might just run pick up some turducen sausage! Great stuff!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    how about some escargot. . .served up on thin slices of crusty baguette. ...
    escargot.jpg

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    Bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind has been a hit here.
    Larry

[ul][li]Bacon Wrapped Pickled Watermelon Rind[/ul]
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Hmmmmm, I may have to do some of those. They sure are good.[p]Chuck

• Rumrunner, ya know i have heard of them before someplace, not sure where though.[p]reg

• Rumrunner
    Options
    reg, lots of folks here do them. Bluesmoke (Ken Stone), for one. Can't think of the others right off hand. They is tasty little buggers......

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    reg,
    I don't think you are trying to be sarcastic in your response,and neither am I, so to those that don't remember who has posted the recipe here and other BBQ forums, it's the infamous Reg from our neighbors to the north that shared the smoked deviled egg recipe.
    For that we thank you. It's a killer method for eggs.
    Thank--Bob

• Painter, oh just having a bit of fun Bob ;-) glad to see people still enjoy them[p]have a good one[p]reg

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    reg,
    I figured as much. hehe
    You take care also.
    Bob

• Rumrunner
    Options
    reg, thank you, too!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Man those were awesome..here I was almost forgetting about them. [p]Just won't be the same without the cool tools though. If you ever decide you need any more kids, I'm available for adoption. I'd only be in it for the food and inheritance of the cool old tools though, just so you have all the facts up front. I hope 35 is not too old for adoption though.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    sure, i'll adopt you, maybe you can be the cooperative kid i don't have. .. LOL. ..as far as the inheritance, sure, why not, i'll leave it all for you. ..100% of nothing is still nothing. ..heeeee