Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Suggestions?

Options
Foxman
Foxman Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to prepare a venison roast in my Green Egg. I am concerned about the meat drying out. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Foxman,[p]also have 60# in the freezer. did a butterflied loin steak with salt and pepper rare - direct it was great. have two roasts to do if i come up with a winner i'll post it, please do the same.[p]Scott

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    eggor,[p]Got any ideas for jerky?[p]CWM
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike,[p]Venison jerky rocks. It's probably my favorite way to eat most of the cuts.[p]Top rack is venison.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Got a marinade recipe?[p]CWM
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Sure,[p]1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup teriaki sauce
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup molassas
    1/4 cup honey
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Spicy Rub, I use Big Bubbas Chipotle
    Pepper[p]Spices are all to taste. I probably use a teaspoon of each and maybe a little heavy on the rub.[p]I marinate for at least 24 hours and try for 48 or so mixing it up several times a day.[p]If you like it spicy, I do, sprinkle a little rub on the surface.

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Foxman,
    I have done a venison loin. Marinate in redwine, wortcestershire, garlic, olive oil, black pepper. Cook hot and fast to sear and then roast until 12o internal. let rest before carving.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Foxman:[p]I like mine cooked at 350º and on the rare side . . . These were pulled at 120º internal, covered, and allowed to rest prior to serving.[p]venisonribroast2.jpg[p]venisonribroast3.jpg[p]venisonribroast4.jpg
  • Sandlapper
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Spent the afternoon sighting my rifles. Going to be in Southwestern Virginia and South Carolina Low Country woods all next week. I understand they are starting to move so your post has made me even more anxious. Thanks for the Marinade recipe....Sounds Great!![p]SL

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Sandlapper,[p]I bagged the largest buck this year since i've been hunting. a monster 5x5 muley, 1 shot at 200 yds. perfect neck shot but was aiming at the shoulder. just a little bit of buck fever when i saw him.

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    venison_roast.jpg
    <p />Foxman,
    here is what I do, It works great for me! I cook alot of venison.[p]Barbeque Bob’s BBQ Venison Roast:[p]In a measuring cup, place 1 cup of hot water, 1 cup of dark beer, 1 heaping tablespoon of kosher salt and 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar and tablespoon of Cowlick. Stir until dissolved completely. Place 3 to 4 lb.roast in a large zip lock bag and pour in mixture. Push air out of bag and seal it. Let the meat brine in this solution for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator.[p]After meat has brined, rub meat with olive oil and cover meat thoroughly with your favorite dry rub. I use homemade Chipotle Rub or Cowlick. Place in Egg over Plate setter and drip pan. Smoke it slow at 225-250 until meat reaches 150°-155°F. Use Cherry and Hickory smoke wood. As a finishing touch, make some gravy with the left over marinade by bringing them to a boil and adding a little olive oil and flour until you reach a consistancy you like.[p]
    BBq Bob

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Foxman, I cooked one last year at EGGtoberfest. I cut it so that it lay pretty flat and then stuffed with spinach, feta cheese and Greek seasoning. I then rolled it back up and tied with butcher twine. A couple of strips of bacon on the outside (or inside) wouldn't hurt. It was well received.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wise One,
    And it was great Bill....When are you coming thourgh Augusta.
    Larry

• Sandlapper
    Options
    eggor,[p]Nice shot at 200 yds...I was reading abot the perfect shot on the Remington site last night..I was knocking them down on paper yesterday but as you've pointed out the actual hunt provides a whole different rush...