Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

use of the ceramic crockpot in the egg

Options
probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if I would be able to use the ceramic out of my crockpot in the bge since I do not have a dutch oven.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    I never tried it. :unsure: Maybe a test cook is in order. :ermm: Wait and see if anyone has and if you can document a test cook and post it. Tim ;)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I'd be careful about that. If it breaks it's a **** to clean up. Crockpots don't nearly get to the temp of the grid or pizza stone or plate setter or whatever you put it on. Look at Goodwill stores and Salvation Army thrift shops for a dutch oven. I've gotten some cast iron at those places. Or flea markets. The 5 qt Lodge DO at Walmart in the sporting department is about $35. It lasts forever and you can brown things in the bottom too for stews and beans which you could never do in the crock.
    PattyO
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I don't know about the crockpot liner but we have a ceramic bean pot which we use. It is set up for an indirect cook and the lid is left off. Puting the lid on would be, as Grandpas Grub says, like taking a shower with your clothes on. The pot has held up well.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    PattyO wrote:
    I'd be careful about that. If it breaks it's a **** to clean up. Crockpots don't nearly get to the temp of the grid or pizza stone or plate setter or whatever you put it on. Look at Goodwill stores and Salvation Army thrift shops for a dutch oven. I've gotten some cast iron at those places. Or flea markets. The 5 qt Lodge DO at Walmart in the sporting department is about $35. It lasts forever and you can brown things in the bottom too for stews and beans which you could never do in the crock.
    PattyO

Don't know either, but I would tend to agree with Patty. You could also try HomeGoods. Yes, they often have LeCreuset (at reduced, but still rather high) prices, but they more often have "lesser" brands for low prices.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I think you mean the ceramic insert, right? I know from experience, don't do this without a platesetter or pizza stone underneath the insert. Yes, someone placed my own crock pot insert in my egg without my knowledge, to heat something up, and guess what - it cracked!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    A HUGH thanks Eggers. I have never thought about that, but you never know when that question will be ask on the sales floor or phone. Again Thanks . :):):):) Ronnie.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You can ONLY if you go indirect.Like an oven.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Like others have said, use a plate setter or pizza stone. I have used mine in an oven at 500 to bake bread with good results and no issues. Put a pyrex pie plate over the top B)
  • probie
    Options
    Yeah I am figuring on using th :laugh: e place setter along with some fire brick. I just hate turn on anythin electrical in the house when I don't have to. I had seen some great recipes that use a crockpot so I planed on eggcrocing i :laugh: t.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Sure you can. They make a very good Dutch oven for the egg. Use plate setter and some kind of feet as a spacer underneath the pot. I use my crock pot often in my egg. Here I'm making my pulled pork tenderloin, braising stage.

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0015.jpg

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0014.jpg
  • probie
    Options
    Now here is the second part to my first question. I have the spider setup can I use that instead of the place setter? I know it sound like I'm a complete morron but I don't like to break good kitchen ware and then have my lovely wife rip me a new :pinch: one.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    A pizza stone on the spider then spacers then crock pot.
    That's a good setup.

Keep dome temp no higher than 325 degrees. Another idea... use a drip pan on the spider. (A good simmer is at 300 degrees dome.) What cracks ceramic (besides dropping on concrete) is thermal shock. Keep that in mind--adding cold food to a hot pot, uneven temps, rapid temp changes, direct flames, etc.

You got some fire bricks sitting around? Set them on the drip pan, then spacers, then crock pot. Problem solve. Tip; Go out to your Goodwill store and pick up a crock pot for $5 bucks, use that and keep your wife happy. The goal here is a proper setup, low dome temp and not adding cold food to a hot pot. Thermal shock can ruin your day.
    Good luck, have fun!
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    We have an insert from a crock that the elemnet burned out on. I am going to try that for a low and slo Guinness Beef Stew. I would think as long as the temp stays low, like a crock is meant to do, it should be fine. Based on this, sound like more than one of us are going to try it out.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• probie
    Options
    You got the recipe for that stew sound yummy
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    I will post it later tonight. Just got home and found out I was feeding 7 teenagers when I only have one living at home. Just fired up the xl and going to do four Carribean Spiced Chickens and some ABTs.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Probie,

Here is the recipe.

2 lbs Beef chuck steak cubed to 1 inch (you can use mutten as well)
    4 16oz cans Guinness (2 for the stew, 2 for you
    1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 cup chopped (large chop) onions (I use Sweet Mayan)
    1 clove garlic chopped
    1 cup mushrooms if you like, not required
    1 Tablespoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 cup beef stock
    1/4 cup flour
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups carrots, chopped or quartered
    2 cups chopped (1 inch size) potatoes, starchy ones
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning (use 2 teaspoons each Thyme, Marjoram, Sage as an alternative)

Dredge the beef through flour as a skillet or CI Dutch Oven is heating, use the oil to brown the beef on all sides in small batches. Transfer to Crock insert (what I am going to try on the Egg) or place in a bowl. When all the meat is done, add the garlic and onions and just about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the broth in the skillet or DO, heat on med lo and scrape the leavings. Return the beef to the DO or leave in the crock and add the skillet scrapings/onions and add 2 cans of Guinness, drink the other two. Place in 230-250* egg indirect. (the rest can be done in either DO or insert or even in a conventional crock pot) Let it simmer for 1 hour in just the Guinness. Then add the rest of the stock, veggies and herbs and slow cook it for 2-3 hours, it should thicken on it's own, if not make a rue of flour and beef stock and add it. If it gets too thick, add some more stock. Enjoy with some Irish Brown Bread or Soda Bread. I learned the recipe from a close friend in Ireland and have modified it slightly with the Penzey's spice. If you are not familiar with them, they have a great web site to order from. I am lucky as they have a store near me in Philly. Enjoy

Eggers Prayer-

• probie
    Options
    Hey thanx for recipe I'm gonna try it out asap. But I think that two six packs for me and 2 beers for the soup works out to be a better blend.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    I like the way you drink, I mean think!

Eggers Prayer-

• probie
    Options
    Konw here is the final question do you heat your egg up first before you put the crock insert in or put it in during the heating up to temp???
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    I will try it this weekend. I am thinking place it on as I am warming up the egg.

Eggers Prayer-