Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Age ????

Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's the maximum you can dry age ribeye, new york? Is it worth dry aging other cuts such as tritip, sirloin...etc?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I've heard of 60 days on a ribeye.No knowledge on the others.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've had a 70-day dry aged strip, but it was done in a professional environment and not a home kitchen.

I'm not sure how much benefit can really be noted beyond 30-35 days.

Any cut can benefit from aging, but you really need to age subprimals and not smaller cuts - they'll simply dry out and not give you the benefits you seek.
  • depends who is doing it and how.

commercially, there are steaks i believe advertised as being aged as much as 75 days. generally you will find it retailing at 21, 28 days. some shops (The Meat House, which is expanding nationwide it seems) offers 45 days.

This holds tru for both rib eye and strip.

Rib-eye benefits the most, though, i think.

if YOU are doing it yourself, commando style (no bags, on a rack in a fridge), i'd say 28 days easily for both ribeye and strip. beyond 28 days you might (though not likely) risk overdrying the strip, but if it is a good subprimal with a nice layer of fat, longer is easy enough. 35 days with a rib eye would be longer than most do i think, simply because of diminishing returns. it's not a safety issue so much as an overdrying issue. you don't want to make jerky. if conditions and humidity were good, no reason not to go 45 days. i go 35 because frankly that's about as long as i can take waiting. and though i have had a lot of dry aged stuff, i'd be hard pressed to say that i can tell the diff between a 35 and a 45 day steak. i think QUALITY of the original subprimal is as important if not MORE important than an extra week or ten days

if you use the dry-age bags, i know that RRP has done 45+. i think the water is lost more slowly with the dry-age bags, and that in theory should let you age longer before they get too dry. longer aging means longer enzyme action means (in theory) more tender and more flavor . aging also actually adds flavor, from byproducts of the enzyme action. anything you can do to slow drying (except using hated towels!) is a good thing. some commercial dry aging suppliers add humidity, to slow drying and age longer. some others, well, some suppliers keep it LESS humid. humidity control is not a safety issue, but a quality issue. drier environments lose water faster, but more humid ones allow a little longer aging.

keep in mind that water loss (a good thing) hits close to just under 20% at about 3 to 4 weeks, and slows a bit after that. i don't think even at the much longer times anyone is experiencing greater water (weight) loss than 20%. the longer you go before becoming "too dry", the longer the enzymes (which are what age the meat) can work. ...but "too dry" is hard to do. i don't know anyone who found their aged meat too dry.

that's a lot of blah blah blah...

in my little corner of the world, i wouldn't say there's any huge benefit at 21 days or less. sure, there's some water loss (and thereby condensing of the meat) by 21 days, and a nice pellicle-sorta surface on the meat, but the true 'holy-cr^p' payoff only just begins around week four (28 days).

at home, 35 is even better (commando). if you go 45 days, you are a man among men. hahaha. also one who may be eating only among men. how adventurous is the wife?

45 days seems easy enough with the dry-age bags (based on RRP's work), and some claim to have gone to 75 days.

i haven't gone past 35 days commando style, so i can't speak to whether it is too dry or not.

this is strip loin 28 days, i think (done at home)

the_harvest-1.jpg

the longer you age, the less red it'll be at center

here it is, cooked.

plated2-1.jpg

a 45 day rib-eye i bought

holycow.jpg

rib eyes are where it is at, when aged. no one ages tenderloin, and strips are only ok. ribeyes are transformed. no wet floppy falling apart steak on your plate. no sir. nice crusted brown firm steak with beautiful firmness (but tender). here's a thinner one, cooked. notice it stays together?

seared.jpg

keep in mind you do NOT want to do a steak by itself. you want as little exposed flesh as possible, and the sides of a steak are nothing but flesh. if you are aging, it better be a subprimal. i have done half a subprimal, but i know that the cut end (after hacking off steaks) was going to be sacrificed. still edible, but it was jerky

you CAN do a small roast for a week if you want. it'll firm it up, and there will be more beef flavor per bite because of the loss of flavorless water. here's a simple 5-day roast. it won't get too dry at the cut ends, because of the short time. it won't gain much tenderness or flavor though, aside from getting rid of some water

Xfive-day-dry-age_prepped02.jpg

Xfive-day-dry-age_resting.jpg

sorry for the long post. better to answer as many questions in advance, i think. this subject comes up all. the. time.
  • Thanks for the thorough explaination. I will be using a drybag. I'm more concerned with food safety. Is it advised to slice the skin that develops around the aged meat? Thanx again
  • ...and if you do it, and trim it, then you basically will be trimming off the best part. :laugh:
  • I was originally gpoing to go 30 days, but after St!kes reply, I thinking 45 days
  • If this hold true, I would love to trade you my finished product with your chili :whistle:
  • trim nothing.

as for food safety... whether it is in a dry-aged bag or commando, your concern re: food safety is the same.

all meat has bacteria on it, and whether it is wrapped in foil, plastic wrap, dry-aged bags, or commando, it will still have that bacteria on it.

so it comes down to holding temps.

i am not going to debate those who want to debate this... but if temperatures are correct, then the bacteria will not be able to multiply. you are not trying to time your aging to the point at which the bacteria are just-below the dangerous level. you don't want them multiplying at all.

30-34 degrees, as low as you can manage in the coldest part of the fridge, is best.

you are going to go way past the sell-by date when you age, and even the use-by date. if your fridge temps are off, all you need is four hours or so. you shouldn't have any fear at 4 weeks if you had no fear at 3.

don't trim a thing. i don't care what anyone says about "preference". if they don't like the parts they trim, then gee, they don't like dry-aged beef. hahaha

don't forget you can always wet age and avoid the drying altogether.
  • 30 days is a good start. have you had aged beef before?
  • Boxerpapa: I am in complete agreement with St!ke here. It is truly about keeping the temp regulated. Perhaps you might invest in a thermometer you can put on a fridge shelf just so you don't get sqeamish, or scared of the product and process. You will rest better, and eat easier in the end knowing your fridge was on track. ;)

ps...don't ask about my accidental wet aging experiment!! Even St!ke wouldn't dare eat it! :laugh:
  • Ew ew ew. Meat in a beer fridge for thirty days. Yuk

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'll give 30 days to start. Yes, I have had dry aged beef, but a very long time ago. I do recall it being heartier and beefier (if this is such a word)
  • Beef in the beer fridge for 30 days is better than that hunk of tenderloin you lost in the beer fridge for a few months!! :laugh: :silly: :whistle:
    (missed you guys in FL Steve.)
  • Hoss
    I keep a cup of water in the extra fridge with a thermometer in it.No fluctuations. ;)
  • i will say that you will have NO QUESTIONS if your meat goes bad. this isn't a case where you will take the roast (or subprimal out) and hold it up, sniffing, and saying "is it ok?"

if it is bad, it will slip from your hands from the slimy bacteria, the fridge will stink to high heaven, and you will not be able to help yourself from gagging on the sniff.

sure, aged meat smells different, but it doesn't smell bad (not to me). sometimes a touch of rancidity may start flirting with the fat, but usually no worries. but bad meat, bad meat will be obvious. so just keep temps LOW, certainly sub 40, and easy enough to keep it 34.

keep in mind though that you might not have quite the circle of friends and family who would look at this and think it was ok to eat

closeup-1.jpg

show them the same steak cooked, though, and you'll win them over.

on_the_fire-1.jpg

(on the right is the cut end from the subprimal i hunked in half, exposing the cut flesh. i cooked and ate it as my own little jerky treat. hahah)
  • Hoss
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What about beer in a meat cooler for 30 days????? B)
  • Chelle,

Nobody forgets the mistakes :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It's all good buddy :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• zackly...

folks worry about opening and closing the door. no issue. if there's no issue with your beer eggs or butter, there's no issue with the beef, baby.

even losing 20% of it's weight, it's still mostly wayer, and water is about the last thing in the fridge that suffers from losing or gaining heat quickly
  • I have a very old fridge in the garage that I have been monitoring for the past few day and holding steady at about 34-35 degrees. Waiting for the weather to cool a bit before I start the process. Oh please, do tell about your wet age process disaster 388493824.jpg
  • Hoss
    At LEAST! ;) You won't be sorry.The hardest part is knowing you have a 21 Dry Aged primal in the fridge and you are not eating it! :blink: :laugh:
  • as opposed to pork in a suitcase for 36 hours?

hahahaha
  • LOL...No disaster!! Well, unless you consider 10 lbs of flank steak into the trash a disaster...which yeah, was pretty sad. :pinch: We had purchased extra meats for the Sunshine State Eggfest in case food was running low. (That was the first mistake!!! How could I think we'd be short on food??? :blink: ) Needless to say, it didn't get cooked, it came home with us in a cooler packed in ice. And as life would have it, for some reason or another, we kept using the cooler for stuff, so it always stayed iced, but I forgot all about the flank steaks. Then while digging for something in the cooler, I came across them....and I did the math. I don't remember precisely, but I think they had wet aged in the cooler for about 120-130 days. :ohmy: They were in the original cryovac and purge, and they looked fine!! I emailed St!ke for his opinion, then vowed him to secrecy! :laugh: We decided best to not take the chance, but I do admit that I grilled one off just to see. It tasted "OK" but not great, and I just didn't feel right eating it. I didn't get ill, but didn't eat a meal of it either! So, that is my accidental wet aging experiment! :blush: I call it "lost in a cooler" wet aging. B)

(as a followup, we had fortunately purchased the flanks at Restaurant Depot, so it was only a $25 dollar loss. I just couldn't justify keeping them after so long, and our aging expert, Stike, pretty much agreed. ;)
  • Hoss
    Bubba needs to start a Ruint Offerings page! :laugh: ;)
  • It was covered in stuff. Can't believe we both ate it raw just to man up.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    I can't add much to what st!ke said. I'm going to put a rib-eye in this weekend for 45 days. My previous one was 28 daysish and it is fabulous but I'm running out. You'll be fine with your fridge temps. I do the dry bag thing as well and have had no problems.

IMHO, go very easy on the trimming. It is a little different in consistency but there is a lot of flavor there.

Take pics!
  • I agree with Stike. I do the comando method and have been going up to 55 days on my dry aging. I did invest in three refrigerator thermometers plus one hygrometer to keep track of my refrigerator. Actually have one going now that on September 26th when I will be cooking it it will be 56 days. I cooked one for some friends after my last ribeye and they went and purchased another one for us to cook on the 26th! Enjoy Hoss
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I have not yet read the other responses, but in the last 12 months I have aged 5 sub-primals using Drybags. By and far my best ones have been New York loin strip at 35 days and a rib eye at 45 days. In the future I will not even bother doing them any shorter and may even try longer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Furthermore my experiences regarding untrimmed weight losses using Drybags has been:

1st - New York Strip - 21 days - 18% loss

2nd - Rib Eye - 28 days - 19% loss

3rd - Rib Eye - 35 days - 19.2% loss

4th - Rib Eye - 45 days - 20.8% loss

5th - New York Strip - 35 days - 21.4% loss
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.