Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting a briskett?

Backally Bob
Backally Bob Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the BGE, did a brisket that turned out pretty good but always looking to do better. Many posts mention resting the briskett, but they don't say why. So....why are we resting them, and how long do people suggest?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    d7389712.jpg

Welcome to the neighborhood....

Resting any cooked meat allows the internal juices to re-distribute within the muscle, and sort of settle down. Something like a steak may only need 5 or 6 minutes of rest... but a brisket is a different muscle altogether and the results of a long rest are especially noticeable on the cutting board. If you cut too soon, juices will gush out and your brisket will be dry. In fact most folks don't even slice a brisket until it's ready to plate.

A good method for resting heavy meats is to use the insulation properties of an ice chest. Of course without any ice.... Add some wadded up newspaper or old towels to the cooler, wrap your meat in a double layer of foil and put it in there. Cover with more newspaper or another towel. It will remain hot for a long time. I rest mine at least two hours, longer if I have a large one (like a 13# or bigger)
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Nice "ring" big guy... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: BTW, Wayne speaks the truth, let the damp thang rest. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Heheee. That was a hot and fast one too...

When I first posted that photo, Donny (Pitmaster) T asked me if I used oatmeal to get that crazy looking bark.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    That's purty and what a smoke ring by the way how is your back coming?
  • Sounds good, Thanks for the replies. Daughter has a birthday coming up, and wife wants me to do a brisket again. So will plan on a extra couple hours to get it right! Can't wait!