Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, Here\'s the answer

Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of you were very close.
It is a "Broilett", manufactured by F.C.Stearnes Co. of Syracuse N.Y. :woohoo:
The word Broilett is cast into the back of the piece along with the manufacturer's name. They would not show up in pics.
The shop owner told me it was supposed to be used on top of the stove to cook a burger or steak. I'm not sure he is right on that, I can't see enough heat transfer. I can see putting a couple of burgers or small steaks on it under the broiler, one small pan, very little mess.
I cannot find anything about this company other than a couple of tools listed on e-bay, a c-clamp and a saw sharpening device. Apparently out of business early in the 20th century. If anyone has any info please let me know.
Thanks for looking and guessing :cheer:

Capt Frank
Homosassa, FL

My wife's heart valve repacement surgery is tomorrow, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Comments

• there's enough heat transfer when you preheat the broiler by laying it on the stove top and then putting the meat inside, then placing the broiler over it
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    And I saw this while I was looking but they didn't even have the top.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/stearns-broilett-no-1-cast-iron-rectangular
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Looks like it would be great for meatballs??
  • Capt Frank
    Yea, I see what you mean [I think], the meat goes on top of the grid and the pan acts as a grease catcher, but if you preheat the grid then put on the meat it would probably work. I am assuming this gadget was made when most folks were cooking on a woodburner. Apparently is wasn't to successful, the dealer said they were very rare and my search today confirms that.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Thanks Kevin, I wish I could see what it sold for. I paid $35 for the complete thing.

How are you guys doing?

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    So do I get partial credit for my guess? heheheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    We are doing great Captain! tough cooking though as we are painting the kitchen cabinets... got the carcasses done and now the doors and drawer fronts. Something more than a weekend project.
  • no...

i'm saying the grid could act as the broiler element. heat it up, put the steak in the pan (also hot), and away you go
  • Capt Frank
    That would work :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • I'm glad you told us what it is. I was beginning to think it was a mind-boggling torture device that the hangman gave to the condemned man the night before and said, "If you can figure out what it is I'll make sure the rope breaks." That would certainly keep the prisoner occupied, at least until he heard the hangman's last words, "Nope, that's not it either."

Spring "Some Things Just Can't Be Figured Out" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Capt Frank
    I love it! :laugh: Thanks! :cheer:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Frank, I just emailed the panman. Will let you know what he has to say.

All the best to your wife tomorrow. It's amazing what they can do these days!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• As usual I missed the original post I guess. :unsure:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Frank, You might try emailing the pan man. He does answer all emails and ci is his passion.
    Let me know.

http://www.panman.com/portrait.html
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Well, Ms Molly, I guess we know who reads MY posts... and who doesn't! :whistle::lol:

Here's what Dave (Panman) has to say (less than 30 minutes after I asked, by the way)...

Michael: That is a nice piece. Coals were put in the bottom and meat, etc. would be cooked on the grid. Value is probably about $35 to $45. -Dave

--
    David G. Smith
    panman@panman.com

The Original PanMan™-- Accept No Substitutes!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Thanks very much, I see it was used a little differently than what I was told. I paid $35, so I'm happy!
    Thanks to all who jumped in, it was fun :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Thanks Carolina, we appreciate your thoughts, I will let everyone know how she does. We are not expecting any problems.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Just got another email from Panman...

Giving it a little more thought I guess I would value it at about $45 - $50

If this keeps up, you may be able to sell it and retire!! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    hahaha..don't think you're special, I didn't read any of them cept Franks. :);)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• No matter the answer. Best to Mama tomorrow.

LR
  • I know. :blush: Thank you ;)

As usual i'm a day late and a dollar short. :ohmy:
  • Capt. Frank, I don't know your situation but, I see a lot of well wishes going on in your post. Here is wishing you and yours well wishes and blessings. Tim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    ive seen one years ago, i think it was wagner. the middle of the grill was rounded up and it had troughs to keep the grease from hitting the lower pan, used stove top. i think you put the meat on top, the wagner version probably didnt smoke like that one would. only thing similar that i know of is one of those bulgoki type grills used outside in the center of a table where everyone cooks their own food. tried to buy one of those for a table years ago, hard to find and gave up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it