Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket burning up

Options
Hot
Hot Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings. I've had to replace the gaskets on my large egg twice so far since it's purchase in July. Am I doing something wrong or is this the case of inferior material? I've been reading pros and cons about using Nomex and a Rutland gasket.
Needless to say all help will be welcome with an ioen mind.

Thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Rutland gaskets are great...
  • I had mine go on my XL by the 2nd week. I bought a nomex gasket and for the last 3 months have yet to put it on. Seems like my egg works fine with out it. There are many others who feel the same way. Someday maybe I'll be motivated enough to install the new gasket.
  • msirach
    Options
    The standard gasket works great as long as the lid is properly adjusted. You should not see ANY smoke at the seam while cooking. If you move your egg much, it will need to be adjusted more. I have replaced my gasket on my large 1 time in 5 years and that was after several 100 pounds of lump. It had a very slight leak and it toasted it after several consecutive T-Rex sessions.

I have not had any trouble with the small or mini, but they are not used nearly as much.
  • jemrx
    jemrx Posts: 81
    Options
    mine burnt off a couple of weeks ago. Works fine without it
  • msirach
    Options
    It will work with out it, but if you want accurate temp control as well as keeping the meat from drying out, you need the gasket.
  • tjl5709
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Rutland gaskets are great...

Agreed. Changed out both my Lg and Sm.
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Options
    Hey Kim,

Where did you get your Rutland gasket? From the hardware store?

Stef in Brunswick,Oh.
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    You don't need the gasket to maintain correct temp, nor will it "dry" out the food without it. My original gasket is fine, but my friend has 2 Eggs without a gasket and his works just as good as mine with temp control and moisture in foods. There are a number of seasoned vets on here who don't use gaskets either. Heck, my dealer has a number of Eggs he demos with and 2 of his has no gaskets. When my gasket wears out, I will not replace it. If I did replace the gasket, it looks like the Rutland one is the way to go.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Are you familiar with Menard's? I see there are 15 locations in Ohio, but not Brunswick. Here's info on what to look for and if you read it closely you might get another hint or two!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Here is my take on the gasket. First assuming no band is on the top dome, use a dollar bill all the way around to feel how tight/heavy the dome is. It is difficult to pull out the dollar bill with your thumb and little finger. No install the dome with the band. It should the the same tightness all the way around difficult to pull the dollar bill out when dome is hinge is fully installed. If not, it may leak, so just adjust the bands.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    my 1st gasket burnt up after a couple of weeks, I put on a nomex and it has been fine for about 3 months now. I used it a couple of times w/o the gasket before putting the nomex on and while it cooked just fine it seemed as tough the fire did not go out real quickly and I burned up more lump than normal
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Mine is a couple years old and so covered in black stuff you can't even tell if there is any felt left...just let it get all gunked up.