Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lump

Turk
Turk Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know who manufactures the BGE lump? I have been using Kroger Lump, also unknown manufacture, and it works fine but is real hard to get above 600.

Comments

• egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Check out The Naked Whiz.com He has a great review of most of the lump you come across. I think Royal Oak makes BGE lump, but dont hold me to it :unsure:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Kroger=Publix=Primo=BGE=... Royal Oak.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Thanks for the response. It was Naked Wizz that got me thinking about the possibility that the quality of the lump may not be good. Thanks again for the response.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    add at least one more = which is GFS (Gordon Food Service) for those of you in the midwest and some places in FL .
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Didn't know they sold lump at GFS. There's one near me but I've never been in one.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    And another one, Best Choice, per the TNW is Royal Oak. I pick BC up in my area from independent grocery stores, in my area usually a little cheaper than RO at Wally World and I have seen no difference.
  • I just went to GFS here in MI and saw that they had lump for sale. I cant seem to find a review but if its produced by Royal Oak I will start buying it there....upon further review (I went to the GFC website) the MSDS sheet for their lump has the Royal Oak letterhead so I just found a new (and much cheaper) lump supply!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BTW while you are at GFS pick up a tub of their Tavern Cheese Spread...you can thank me later!LOL
    IMG_1581.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FWIW, not one of the 86 brands of charcoal that I've reviewed has burned below 700 degrees. Maybe even 800 degrees. If you can't get your cooker above 600 degrees, I doubt it is the lump unless you have allowed it to get wet.
    The Naked Whiz
  • You didn't mention what size Egg you're using. Some say the Small Egg is harder to reach higher temperatures. I sometime experience that but it's usually due to small pieces of lump in the Egg, thereby reducing the air flow.

My Large and Mini get 'blast-off' hot when I want 'em to.

I've used Kroger lump from time to time and found it to be the same as Royal Oak in most instances. Did get a bag with about half of it small pieces and another bag with about half of it really large pieces but it didn't slow me down.

The nice thing about Kroger's brand is that they always have some on hand.

Spring "Hot Fire In The Cold Hole" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • a slow lighting small is usually due to the fact that it sits around used less than the day-to-day egg.

when i was using my small all the time, it lit well, and the large took forever. when i sued the large daily,it was the small that suffered.

i think it had more to do with moisture in the eg itself, because it can hold a lot of water if it doesn't get the drying out that regular use provides

just one man's observation though
  • Good point, but my Eggs are inside The Coop under a roof. Any moisture would have to be absorbed from the humidity/dewpoint, which is always very high in the summer.

I kinda thought it may be due to the small fire grate, especially when plugged up with small pieces of lump. My reasoning is that when I clean the Egg thoroughly and hand load the lump, it fires off fast, clean and hot.

That's what they make Wiggle Rods for, I suppose.

Spring "Random Wiggling Of One's Rod Can Get One Arrested" Chicken