Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mojo Criollo chicken

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saw a bottle of this marinade in the grocery a few months back and picked it up. Recently I read a post where Molly, cookin biker, used it with great success. Well, this is some good stuff! I marinated chicken for about 12 hours yesterday and egged it up last night. Cooked it direct about 375. So simple and so good. A nice tangy marinade, will definitely use again, ext time maybe on a pork loin.

002-53.jpg

003-52.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    It is great on pork, you will love that! Looks terrific Teresa!! You can tweak it with cayenne or more garlic...ect.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Looks real nice. What store did you buy it from?
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Works great on pork tenderloins, also. Cooked 2 at Pa Eggfest yesterday to good reveiws
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    I will try playing with it next time.
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    I got it at a local chain, Stater Bros. But I'm pretty sure I saw it at Walmart too.
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Have one in the freezer, that will be my next Mojo cook!
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    I love mojo criollo! I have used the Conchita and Goya brands; I like Conchita a bit better. However, as with most things of this nature, making it from scratch is so much better! Here is the recipe I use:

Mojo Criollo Sauce

Makes 1 cup
    4 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice from 1 to 2 oranges
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Place minced garlic on cutting board and sprinkle with kosher salt. Using flat side of chef's knife, drag garlic and salt back and forth across cutting board in small circular motions until garlic is ground into smooth paste.

2. Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic paste and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature. Whisk sauce to recombine before serving.

I have used this mostly on pork, but have also tried it on chicken. I have also done it without the oil, which made a very acidic, citrusy marinade. I actually prefer it without oil when I marinate a a boston butt. The great thing about this forum is that someone on here will invariably take the above recipe and change it around, and make it something totally different - and possibly better...

Cheers,
    Keith
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    That sounds great Kieth, thanks for the recipe. When you marinate a butt, do you then smoke it? How long do you marinate it for?
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    I marinate a butt for anywhere from 8 to 24 hours. I then cook it low and slow, indirect, @ 225 - 250 degrees for however long it needs to cook, until it reaches 195 degrees internal. I usually use fruitwood for pork - apple or cherry, but use whatever wood you like best.

Keith