Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sold my BBQ pit

Options
Psycho
Psycho Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:unsure: I just sold my BBQ pit. I had not used it in three years. At least not since I got my large BGE. It was a monster, trailer mounted 1244 sq inches. 3/8 thick Stainless steel and it could easily last several lifetimes. It could hold a whole hog and a half a dozen turkeys. My brother in law wants it to grill for his church fundraising events. He said I can use it if I need and he will not resale it to anyone else without offering it to me first. I used it so many times for get togethers and there are so many memories over the last 24 years tied to it and my friends and to friends that have passed on. It was a waste to let it set there being neglected. I plan to take the money and buy a small BGE with the cash. It will be perfect for me an the wife to grill when it is just us here. Why am I sharing this here? I figure many of you have the same story of moving on to a BGE. Tell me I did the right thing.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You did.I would NEVER part with mine but I still do a LOTTA BIG cooks. B) He'll probbly let you help him clean it up after a Fundraiser if you start feeling nostalgic! ;) Good Move! :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You did, and you can still visit it. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I'm thinkging it was time....at least you know that someone will get good use from it, and you can use it if you need to - but you are going to love the small. I have had a large for about 12 years. Got a small last November. We use the small far more often than the large (but, like you and your gigantic pit, I have the large if I need it) ;)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Good move Psycho - did the same with a much smaller grill - a Holland gasser sold for 20% of what I paid for it.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Good move, because it sounds like it will get some good use now. You will like the small, it's a good little cooker.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Now you don't have to store it and you can still use it. Sounds like a win win situation. Plus a new egg, win win win!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BullyQue
    Options
    At least you were able to sell your Holland. I went to cook on my Holland one day. I opened the lid and the whole thing fell backward off the post. It was a nice piece sheet metal. Maybe the we can beat your tigas next weekend.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Do you still need the DMFT??? I can send it to you next week.Been CRAZY around here!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I sold my Holland gasser also. Gave away my Weber gasser, Weber bullet smoker, Cimmeron offset pit smoker made of 1/4" steel that sat for two years unused. No regrets. ;)
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    All I use my old grill for now is to store my egg accessories in the cabinet below the grid...
  • Hoss
    Options
    NOT THE WSM!!! :( :( :(
  • Hoss
    Options
    Da Holland is a JOKE!!! ;)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I think my Holland was their largest and I think it was called the Congressional. It was in real good shape but it was a joke the way it cooked. The Holland cooked at one temp - 350.

Looks like Da tigas can be beat by anyone this year. Had season tickets in Starkville one year (was living in Columbus, working in West Point). Visiting teams that year were La Tech, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU. Ole Miss and S. Miss were played in jackson.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Think you did the right thing. When I got my first egg I only used my old grills for storage of my extra egg stuff. After six months of not firing any of them I started giving them away. It took my a couple years to part with old faithful, but I know she got a good home and is usued a lot now. Man did I burn a bunch of cow and pig on that thing when I had it. But I ain't a looking back now. I have 4 eggs and planning on a XL in spring to go with the flock, and could never imagine cooking on anthing else!
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    I've got a smaller version of a handmade stainless steel grill/smoker that I've had for over 40 years and I still use it for grilled chicken and wings. I will never get rid of it. It was comletely submerged in a Hurricane and you can't tell it. I will pass it on to my grand children...of course I love my BGE too for regulating the heat for perfection cooks! The best of both worlds.