Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Tale of Two Loaves

Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
These were two monstrous bread loaves stuffed with asiago cheese...so big that I either needed to bake separately-- so I decided to fire up the kitchen oven and compare the two. BGE vs. a brand new Jenn-Air with convection, the results:

IMG_7361.jpg
Doughball done fermenting in the fridge 2 days, cut in half, shaped and stuffed with asiago cheese, after 2hrs of proofing and ready to bake. Everything is identical up to here.

IMG_7362.jpg
After 15min in the oven at 400 convecting (like 425), rotated and baked another 12min

IMG_7364.jpg
After 15min on the BGE at 425-450 dome...note slightly better oven spring...used 1cup of hot water for steam underneath the loaves in both

IMG_7366.jpg
After 12 more min on the BGE ready to go. "Gee Doctor, I dunno how I burned my tongue. It's a complete mystery" :P

IMG_7369.jpg
side by side, BGE bread on the left

IMG_7372.jpg
BGE on the left again, says it all don't it? Interestingly the oven got a longer pre-heat and the stone was even a bit hotter (used IR therm to test)

finaloven.jpg
the oven bread

finalbge.jpg
the BGE bread. Confirms the better spring with the larger air pocket created by the cheese, also slightly better crumb structure.

And most important...the blind taste test. Let the Missus sample from each and the BGE bread was the clear favorite. She's an asiago cheese nut, and for her the added smokiness of the finished cheese tasted better. Gotta try bagels next :woohoo:

Comments