Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt is done - guests not for 9 hours

Options
benttwice
benttwice Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started two butts on the Egg last night. The internal temp by ThermaPen is 200F. Our guests won't be here for dinner until 6PM (another 9 hours). Any suggestions? I know I should wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler, but I think 9 hours is a bit long to hold before pulling. If I pull it earlier, how do I store the pulled pork until we're ready to eat?
Been lurking on here a while, but this is my first post. Still learning!
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    2 things you can do.

1. Add some apple juice and put them in the oven at its lowest setting (170*). They may tend to get dry and that is the reason for the juice. You can keep them there until 3-4 hours before you are going to pull them. At that point, you can wrap in a towel and in a cooler to finish the rest.

2. Put the wrapped buts in the fridge and they will cool down. About 2 hours before the folks will get there, pop them in a 300* oven (still wrapped) and heat them back up. When they get to 150 or so, pull and stick in a cooler to rest.

Either way, put them one the top rack and something below on the bottom rack to help disperse the heat from the element.
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    Just have been posting on a similar topic and based on the suggestions I got:
    Go ahead and pull it, then seal it in aluminum foil, vacuum pack, or something fairly airtight.
    When you re-heat, add a can of 'Coke' (not diet) for every 4 LBS of meat for moisture.... yep, 'Coke' soda.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    That's what I did before too and it worked great. They other method is alot of work. Just pull it and put in pans and heat back up. It will be very good
  • Acoustic Blues
    Options
    I have to agree with Mark. Pull it, pan it, re-heat it