Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Butt is done - guests not for 9 hours

benttwicebenttwice Posts: 1
edited 1:32PM in EggHead Forum
I started two butts on the Egg last night. The internal temp by ThermaPen is 200F. Our guests won't be here for dinner until 6PM (another 9 hours). Any suggestions? I know I should wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler, but I think 9 hours is a bit long to hold before pulling. If I pull it earlier, how do I store the pulled pork until we're ready to eat?
Been lurking on here a while, but this is my first post. Still learning!
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• 2 things you can do.

1. Add some apple juice and put them in the oven at its lowest setting (170*). They may tend to get dry and that is the reason for the juice. You can keep them there until 3-4 hours before you are going to pull them. At that point, you can wrap in a towel and in a cooler to finish the rest.

2. Put the wrapped buts in the fridge and they will cool down. About 2 hours before the folks will get there, pop them in a 300* oven (still wrapped) and heat them back up. When they get to 150 or so, pull and stick in a cooler to rest.

Either way, put them one the top rack and something below on the bottom rack to help disperse the heat from the element.
  • Just have been posting on a similar topic and based on the suggestions I got:
    Go ahead and pull it, then seal it in aluminum foil, vacuum pack, or something fairly airtight.
    When you re-heat, add a can of 'Coke' (not diet) for every 4 LBS of meat for moisture.... yep, 'Coke' soda.
  • Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,227
    That's what I did before too and it worked great. They other method is alot of work. Just pull it and put in pans and heat back up. It will be very good
  • I have to agree with Mark. Pull it, pan it, re-heat it