Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just got one as well-XL Egg Table

ratty
ratty Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hello Everyone,

I've just taken delivery of my new BGE table. It's heavy even without the egg sitting inside of it. It took three blokes to carry it around to the back garden.

I gave the carpenter the plans from NakedWhizz in which he needed to make some adjustments to cope with the XL version. The table is made of American White Oak. The screws countersunk and plugged with the same wood followed by 3 to 4 coats of exterior varnish in a satin finish. The egg sits on galaxy black granite inserts. Initially I wanted casters so I could move the egg around but I could find small enough casters that would fix the dimensions of the legs without the metal support brackets over hanging the wooden leg. Anyway, it would make the egg a little easier to be stolen!!

I have ordered some BGE ceramic feet not only to raise the egg because the hinge mechanism catches the back of the table when the lid is opened but also to show off the granite a little better.

I have a couple of questions. How many feet do you get, are there 3 or four? I was thinking of bonding some silicone rubber to the bottom of the feet to prevent the egg slipping on the granite as it's shiny and most of the picture of eggs that I have seen, the eggs are sitting of fire bricks/slightly rough tiles/sone that would stop the egg from sliding. Has anybody done this before? Finally, what size would be the gap be once I place the egg on the feet?

Regards,

Paul
Weybridge (UK)

IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg

Comments

• Me thinks at least 4, or more the more support, the less it will rock n roll, shift. The lid is heavy.
  • I just started a thread about using feet on an XL you might want to read before doing it. The consenses was not to use them, the span of the bottom is too great.
    Scott
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    I have an XL, and called BGE directly to ask about feet. They did not recommend using them. It sounded as if the concern was the span, with temperatures going from 1000 to 60 in a matter of hours basically.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Hi Paul and welcome to the forum :)
    That is one very nice looking table!
    As stated above, BGE does not reccomend the feet with the XL and they do not ship them with it. You do need some air space between your Egg and the granite, 1/2" if possible. You can use most anything, small pcs of granite, copper plumbing fittings [El's so they don't move], whatever. Just be sure to put something in the center of the egg to help distribute the load.
    Don't worry about it moving, it is not going anywhere :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Hi Paul all the way from Merry England!
    Congrats on getting the XLarge Egg and the new table, it looks terrific. :cheer:

I'm thinking split firebricks under your egg. They are 1.250" thick by 9" by 4.5" and can be purchased at a stove and fireplace store. There is a very good chance the granite will crack from heat stress without some kind of spacer installed. The granite is beautiful but unfortunately is not crack(heat stress) resistant like a firebrick or cinder block.

Raising the egg by 1.250" might clear the back hinge of the table top, otherwise make a cutout to fit. White oak is an excellent choice for a table and will provide many years of service. I'd like to recommend that you place pads at the feet to keep the leg ends up off the deck and clear of moisture. Water is the enemy of wood. To keep your table and egg looking it's best I will also suggest a cover that fits over to protect from sun, rain and ...heaven forbid...snow, which you do get on occasion. :lol:
    Again, Congrats with you new table and egg, have fun and show us what your cookin (and drinkin) over at the EggHead forum.
  • Thanks for the tips. I think you're right about creating an air gap beneath the bottom of the egg with either fire bricks or granite pieces. I actually like the BGE feet visually. So I will do both, support the bottom and use the feet.

As far as the hinge goes, I will have to remove some material from the table to make room for the hinge to fully function and not catch the top of the table.

I will post some more pictures when the modifications have been completed!!

Regards, Paul