Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: Chilli, chicken &shrimp

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been working all week then got called in for graveyards last night as I was cooking supper for my Mothers 73ed birthday. Off today then back to work nights Friday threw the weekend. Crazy schedule. Have managed to do a little Egging this week thought. Wife started a pot of chilli with a little breakfast sausage and Aundui to go with the beef. I included a pic of the pot with lid partially off to show how I get my smoke into the chilli. Have had more than one person ask what you gain by cooking chilli on the Egg.
9-8-2010018.jpg

9-8-2010020.jpg

9-8-2010024.jpg

For Mother's birthday I deboned 3 chicken breast and soaked in pineapple juice, terrakie sause, brown sugar then a little Pineapple Head rub on the Egg.
9-8-2010025.jpg

Some smashed potatoes and Aundui.
9-8-2010026.jpg

9-8-2010028.jpg

And some shrimps that were nothing more than tossed in a bag with some EVOO and a little Tunsunima Spin rub.
9-8-2010027.jpg

Everything turned out great actually even rushed like I was.
9-8-2010029.jpg

9-8-2010030.jpg

And a little disert to finish it off. She didn't want a cake so go figure.
9-8-2010016.jpg

Auron's little friends are growing. Figure they will be gone in a few day as they are starting to peek out of the nest now.
9-8-2010031.jpg

Comments

• Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    Always enjoy your hearing about your cooks and seeing the pictures. Chili is not something I've been able to master. It never turns out the way I think it should. Yours looks yummy.

The pictures of the animals are always the best! :)
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Great looking meal and I am sure your mother really appreciated it!!I think it is great that you cooked for her on her special day!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Great looking grub JL I have been thinking for the last week about a pot of pecan smoked chili. Last weeks cool down at night has really got me itching for some, maybe this weekend got 13# of boston ribs on for tonight. Those babies sure are a growing quick!
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Great looking food. Gotta get some chilli going in the DO :)
  • jemrx
    jemrx Posts: 81
    Options
    great looking cook! I would like to try some chili this fall on my egg. i'm curious as to how to get the smoke flavor into this dish? Did you add the wood early in the cook as you were doing the meat or just at the end when all your ingredients added. What type of wood goes best with chili?
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Did you take Jake out to meet the bunnies???
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    JL, the chili looks so good, but too hot here to even think about chili now. It must be cooling off in AR if you are making chili.

The potatoes look great. I could have just that for dinner.

Save a brownie for me!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I mix mine all together inside then take it to the egg for the simmer with pecan smoke. I have also used guava with chili with good results. Works great with roast too, the veggies just soak up the goodness of the smoke ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Smoke wood is real subjective. I pretty much use pressimon on everything. A really nice middle of the road wood but hard to find. I just happen to have the trees on my property for it. Hickory would be my choice for chilli or any cast iron pot type cooks. The trick in cast iron D.O is to get the smoke flavor into the dish. Your not really worried about over powering it like say fish or lamb.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Faith its not really cooling off. Still in the low to mid 90's but you can just eat so much pork and chicken!! :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Ms. Judy ya know Jakes free flight!! :laugh: I really miss the days b4 West Nile virous when he was clipped and I took him EVERYWHERE! Thats why he's so adjusted. Now Andy is in the pen right next to them and sure has been wanting to meet them! :evil:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Nice cook and anytime is chili time. I haven't done chicken like that in a couple of years, thanks for the nudge.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • reccitron
    Options
    I see the bird is hanging his butt over the chili in protest of you cooking the chicken. Lol. The food looks great. I was just thinking about making some chili tomorrow
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Yummy Dean!! She's a virgo, I'd like her! ;):)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Love the dessert photo....hope Mom's birthday was blessed - surely the food was wonderful. :)

Gotta love the bunnies...
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Options
    What a meal! Hey, my birthday is in January! :whistle: