Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hummingbird video

Options
SoCalWJS
SoCalWJS Posts: 407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first attempt at youtube - hope it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDJEnbN3Qyg

(can't seem to figure out how to post it as a link that shows in preview)

This was last week at about dawn showing 4 of my 8 feeders - it's the most concentrated group, but the other feeders are about the same with respect to activity at dawn and susnset - busy throughout the day too, but ridiculous at those times.

Went through 25 lbs of sugar in 6 days this week.
South SLO County

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Very Nice !

How come your's all get along? Mine need to go to Anger Management Classes. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    You did good.

We're starting to collect a few hummingbirds here too. The number will grow and then they will be gone.

Spring "Sugar High" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ive never seen them get along either, its usually aerial warfare
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    That is such a nice setup!

I would like to set something like that up here, but I seem to attract more cats then birds.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    If F-16's could dogfight like that, we'd never lose a plane. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I just took this shot to see if I could pick up the coloring on the birds.

DSC03716.jpg

Took a bunch more but the little squirts disappear so fast I missed them.

Spring "A Bird In The Air Is Like, Gone" Chicken
  • SoCalWJS
    Options
    Not quite sure why they do OK - overcrowding/high demand at this point. I found that by spreading them out a bit earlier in the season, it became difficult (maybe tiring?) for the first dominant males to take over the feeder. I slowly add additional feeders and when July hits, it's like this on a smaller scale - it just gets busier and busier.

Finally had a cool spell the last couple of days - maybe they'll thin out a bit. (I hope - this has turned into work - if I'm not at work, several of the feeders get emptied before noon, and they're pretty well empty by dusk :blink: )
    South SLO County
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    I'm so jealous! I only have about 6 or so visiting my feeders. Will probable get more toward the middle to end of this month.

Thanks for sharing the video.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That looked like dove opener at our club! I wonder how those buggers would be wrapped in bacon? Allright just kiddin Hmm...

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
    Spring Chicken: Are you a Looziana or a Texzas boy? I see your LSU logo, yet you have a big map-o-TX in the photo of your "coop" on your profile. Waz
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hi Waz,

Growed up in NE Louisiana (Catahoula Parish). Hitches in the Army and Navy convinced me to see some more of the world. Went to LSU. Later on I won my Sweetie (Spring Hen) in a poker game in New Orleans. She also went to LSU. Moved to Florida and then to Texas 22 years ago. Lived here longer than anywhere else so this is now home by default.

Texas was easier to get used to than Louisiana.

You from Lousiana? Lots of Eggheads over there now. Some of 'em can cook too... Looking forward to meeting some of 'em at the next Louisiana Eggfest if there's one.

Spring "Fully Growed Up Now" Chicken
  • Michael B
    Options
    Looks like what we used to get in Colorado. I have a picture somewhere showing my daughter holding her arm up near one of the feeders. She had four humming birds sitting on her arm, waiting to get to a feeder.
  • SoCalWJS
    Options
    that would be incredible!
    South SLO County
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    That is spectacular! We have been having so much fun watching the 3 in our back yard the past few weeks.

Not 3 dozen hummingbirds.

Not 3 feeders.

3 hummingbirds.

We watched your video with jaws dropped. Thanks for sharing!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This