Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Over Nighter Problem.

WillieWillie Posts: 132
edited 1:22PM in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first pork butt, put it on at 8 p.m. last night, and at 7 a.m. this morning the grate temperature is at 180*F. I now have the grate back at 225*F,will the meat be o.k. I don't think it was more than an hour or two at the lower temp. Thanks for any help / advice.
Bon Appetit.
Willie
·

Comments

• GandolfGandolf Posts: 878
    If temp didn't get below the 180 that you saw, you're fine. Enjoy!
    ·
  • Is that you, Mr. Nelson? I hope you're not smoking it with weed. :laugh:

As far as the temperature drop, I think you are fine.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,573
    Unless you are using a remote thermometer to monitor, or an automatic blower device, it is a good idea to get up and check the temp at least once during the night. Most times all will be well, but once in awhile you may catch a fire that has burnt straight down the center, and is about to go out.

The guideline is that the meat should not be between 40 and 140 for more than 4 hours before cooking, and 2 after. 180 just means you added another hour onto the cook.
    ·
  • WillieWillie Posts: 132
    Many thanks for your reply, I did get up once at 2.45 a.m.and all appeared well.I will gladly wait for the finished product.
    Thanks for the other replies as well.
    Bon Appetit,
    Willie.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    GARY NOT NICE :angry:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Aw, cm'on Mickey. I put a smiley face on it. :ermm:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    VI. No I'm not Mr Nelson.
    Bon Appetit
    Willie.
    ·
  • You are good.

I would bump to 250 and 275 wouldn't hurt. Butts are forgiving on temp variations.

Good luck
    ·
    Frank,
    Thanks for assisting, and re-assurance.The temp. is now at i82*F and holding.
    Bon Appetit
    Willie.
    ·