Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Gumbo

Options
BigEasyEggor
BigEasyEggor Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks I have been a long time lurker and have learned a lot from others. I thought that I would go ahead and post this recipe in time for Thanksgiving. It is a lot of work but a great use of leftover turkey which we always have. It is great to have around for watching the football games of the weekend.[p]Smoked Turkey Gumbo[p]Ingredients:
1 Smoked Turkey
2 lbs Sliced Okra
¾ cup Vegetable Oil
2 lbs Hot Sausage
½ lb. Bacon, cut into 1” pieces
1 cup Flour
8 ribs Celery, chopped.
4 Large Onions, chopped.
2 Bell Peppers, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced.
½ cup Chopped Parsley
½ cup Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco Sauce, Cayenne Pepper, to taste.
1 12 oz can Tomatoes
1 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes
1 ½ tbs. Salt
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Brown Sugar
1 tbs. Lemon Juice
4 cups Rice, cooked.[p]Directions:[p]Smoke turkey and cool. Remove most meat from bones, reserve. Crack carcass into several pieces, place in kettle with 3 qts water and 1 tsp salt. Boil 2 hours, remove carcass, cool, reserve stock.[p]Fry okra in ¼ cup oil until lightly brown, drain, set aside. Cut sausage into ¼” slices, fry till crisp, drain and set aside. Cook bacon, set aside and save grease. Make roux by heating bacon grease with ½ cup oil, add flour, stir constantly until dark brown. Add celery, onions, bell pepper, garlic, parsley. Cook 15-20 minutes stirring constantly. Add okra and sausage, cook 5 minutes.[p]Add 2 qts stock, 2 qts water, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes, salt, bacon, bay leaves, cayenne. Simmer covered 2 ½ - 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Skim grease, add meat, simmer 30 minutes. When serving, add sugar and lemon juice.[p]Yields 16-18 servings.

Comments