Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Initial impressions

EggcitedinNJ
EggcitedinNJ Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been cooking on my LBGE for less than a week and am very impressed. Getting it to my desired proper temperature is easier than I thought it would be and once there I've had no trouble keeping it stable. Of course I haven't tackled a low and slow yet, but that's coming.

I'm purposely keeping my cook temperatures low, figuring I'd stay clear of the gasket controversy on the first few cooks and after the chicken thighs, which I posted about, I made an eye round roast with baked potatoes for my in laws, cold smoked salmon, and a pastrami. The roast and potatoes came out great, and the salmon was a big hit last night. I found the texture to be very good, but while the rest of the family liked the taste I'm going to play around with it somewhat to get it closer to my liking. The pastrami was also a hit; good texture, smokiness, and taste.

Some other first week observations are that my BGE is a conversation piece as nobody I know has one. In fact my wife brought over a friend to see it over the weekend.

Lastly, I know many here use their gasser to store eggessories and despite thinking that I wouldn't be doing so, it really is convenient. So I am.

_MG_8501web.jpg

_MG_8502web.jpg

Comments

• Welcome aboard. Some good looking food there and I'm sure you will have a lot more to share. Don't hold off on the low and slow too long, it's super simple and you're just missing out on some mighty good eats.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Congradulation. Looks like you have it so far.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Can you share the detais on how to cook a pastrami.

That look great.
  • Very nice indeed! It does create quite the conversation piece. Mine has become know at my daughter's school from her boyfriend raving about the meals he eats at my house each weekend. One of her friends parents contacted me about more info. The more you cook, the more food you share, the more people want to own one. It really sells itself, it just makes us look good in the process. Enjoy and start posting recipes.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• I'm clearly no expert after a week, but I'm getting a sense of how the process works. I'm not avoiding any low and slow, just haven't gotten around to it yet. What I really want to do is see if I can crank it up to those big temps for searing.
  • Clearly I need to upgrade my posting skills.

Thechief96, thanks for the welcome.

Redcat, I followed the instructions from here and used method number 2, the wet foil method.

Smokin' I got a big kick when my wife brought a friend over to see it. I'm sure it won't be the last time.
  • I do more high heat cooks than low...my wife and daughter are steak lovers and they would rather have a steak off the Egg than from any restaurant in town. Other than frying your gasket (mines been gone for months and it's only 18 months old) the one thing to remember above all else is be extremely careful when opening the top. The Burping process cannot be stressed enough. I, and probably a large majority of Forum members, have lost a considerable amount of hair starting with the hand, up the arm, facial hair and head hair to a flash back so hot you can't even see it. Good luck and have many happy years of Egging.
  • kmellecker, thanks for that reminder.
  • Tweev-tip so far so good.

I don't know what other newbies have done, I just know that both before my purchase and subsequent to it I've spent a tremendous amount of time on this forum in an attempt to educate myself. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm content with first mastering the basic essentials and building from there.
  • Looking for building plans for an 8x10 "egg-porium". Would like it do be an 8x10 deck with a roof that has a raised vent. Has anybody built anything similiar?