Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs and tailgateing

hawkegg
hawkegg Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking some ribs this weekend for a little tailgateing action. My question is what is the best way. I like cwm 3-1-1 method so I will either start them at 4 am and transport warm or cook and get them done at midnight and try to reheat. Any suggestion on which would be best? Also methods on the best way to keep warm or how to reheat depending on which way I go. I was thinking crock pot to keep warm but just a thought.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I cook mine on the BGE ahead of time and wrap in HDAF and in a towel in the ice chest. I reheat at the game on a gas grill on low. I sauce them at the game...people ask how did you get a nice smokey flavor on a gas gril...LOL
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I agree with Vidalia completely. Precook at home, and glaze at the game. I have been tempted many times to take one of my eggs tailgating, but have concerns with breakage or theft. Therefore I follow the above mentioned method.
  • Cruezn
    Hawkegg, would that be Iowa Hawk Egg? If so, I'll be tailgating there this weekend too. I'd be happy to sample your ribs...
  • That is! Go Hawks. should be a good time. Later game will make it crazy!! We will be in the finkbine lot!
  • Cruezn
    I'll be down a little further on Melrose, but will drive by Finkbine. I'll keep my window down on the way to see if I can smell your ribs. I love the late kick offs, as tailgating is more fun when you don't have to cram it into a couple hours and start at dawn. Go Hawks!!
  • hawkegg wrote:
    That is! Go Hawks. should be a good time. Later game will make it crazy!! We will be in the finkbine lot!

Cruezn wrote:
    I'll be down a little further on Melrose, but will drive by Finkbine. I'll keep my window down on the way to see if I can smell your ribs. I love the late kick offs, as tailgating is more fun when you don't have to cram it into a couple hours and start at dawn. Go Hawks!!

Be careful out there Hawkeye fans!! The university administration and local law enforcement are cracking down on tailgating here in Iowa City. Lots of citations being written for open containers when walking down the street. ie: walking down Melrose toward Kinnick Stadium. Lots and lots of unhappy football fans last weekend.
  • Cruezn
    Heard that too. Just have to be careful while having fun.
  • I agree with Vidalia

In addition to an ice chest to keep hot, I like to use Pizza delivery bags to keep things hot

They come in different sizes and these can be purchased at Smart and Final and Restaurant supply houses. They also have the large size at Costco Business if you have one of these in your area