Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Beef Filets

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local market is having a fill your freezer event with choice Angus filets and various prime cuts next week. There is a $8 savings on the filets and I can have them cut and wrapped as I wish. Filet is not my favorite steak. It's tender but not high in flavor. I prefer the rib eye or strip. But I don't want to miss out on this sale. I was thinking of asking only for the butt (large) half, but if necessary take the whole and have it cut. Any suggestions on what cut and how to prepare a half of beef filet keeping it moist. I know the bacon weave is an option.
Thanks

Comments

• by filet do you mean steaks?

or the actual entire tenderloin?

i buy them whole and trim off the "chain" muscle that runs along side. that can be cooked as is or made into tips.

then a cut a roast (2-3 pounds) from the big end, then further cut some filets from the same end. if you get a decent tenderloin, you can get a few steaks from it.

the thin end usually becomes marinated tips or burger.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I buy them whole then trim the chain off and slip a knife under the silver skin and take it off- cut into steaks 1 1/2 to 2 inches or larger for a roast we really enjoy them usually make at lest 6 to 7 meals for the 2 of us
  • PattyO
    Options
    I'll buy the whole filet (tenderloin). I want to know how you guys cook the whole or half filet. I'm not crazy about steaks. I may do marinated kabobs with the small ends.
  • nlsteve
    Options
    I have used the "shoulder filet" which fits your description of tender, but not flavorful on its own.

You can treat it like a filet mignon: keep it rare-ish and accent it with some sort of sauce or something. I have served it with a commercial fig/vidalia onion dipping sauce & it was a big hit. Other fruit or liquor-based sauces will work great to make this worthy of a special occasion.

Steve
  • PattyO
    Options
    That sounds like the chuck eye, the same eye muscle that is in the rib eye as it extends into the shoulder. I really like chuck eye, and it's a lot cheaper than the rib.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    google drunk and dirty tenderloin, im not a big fan of a tenderloin roast, it needs added flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PattyO
    Options
    Has anyone tried the kitchen towel tenderloin, placed directly in the coals? Maybe I'll try that one if you have had success. Details, please.
  • ah. gotcha.

"filet" means steak, which is why i was confused.

only a steak-sized chunk of it is a filet.

if you don't want them (filets/steaks), i'd do two roasts from the big end, and chunk the rest for tips. heresy maybe... but we can get the whole thing for about 7 or 8 a pound (choice).

i believe that some folks have decent success tying the thin end (folding it back onto itself) and making for another roast.

if you are not trying to make it picture perfect (like for a wellington), you can leave the chain on too, which will save you from too many tenderloin-tips and will give you bigger roasts.

search for 'wellington' here too. just had a thread about them yesterday actually. lot of work but adds flavor. as you said, the tenderloin is all about tenderness, and needs a flavor boost.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    last winter did a salt and herb crusted trout, very moist. i might give that a go with a tenderloin as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • we had a leftover roast (Chateaubriand-sized) from a tenderloin and i finally shrugged and agreed with the wife that we could just marinate it in teriyaki, like we did the tips we had from it. what the heck. kids like teriyaki, and that way we have a little more flavor. i'm not a big 'marinade' guy, but tenderloin can sometimes use a little love

bought the tenderloin originally to do wellingtons, and were left with the roast and tips.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    patty,

with the center part of the muscle you can butterfly it out and stuff it with a pancetta/mushroom/shallot mixture and a couple of lobster tails. ...

here is an oldie but a goodie from a few years back ...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=101793&catid=1
  • PattyO
    Options
    Wow, do you live in cattle country? Not me. I'm a city girl in Pennsylvania. The cheap filet (tenderloin) here is crappola from Australia, ungraded and we all know what that means. This sale is choice Angus and prime cuts. I want to stock up.