Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pulled Beef BBQ results

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,421
edited 5:59PM in EggHead Forum
From my previous post I started out with two very nice chuck roasts this morning. For newbies; Recipe in this forum cookbook under Beef.

After smoking indirect, I place the beef in the Dutch oven and took the meat to 212 degrees internal.

For the last stage I pull the beef, remove gristle and fat, return meat juices, add sauce then smoke again a couple of hours.

All done! This batch went 11 hours total.

Yeah... this is gooood BBQ.

• BashBash Posts: 1,011
    Looks very good. What sauce, and did you eat on buns?

Thanks for the update!
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Now that looks fantastic.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Looks exactly like authentic 'Clay's Pulled Beef' to me! :laugh: Glad to see you're not an imposter Clay! Your pics ALWAYS make me hungry.
  • egretegret Posts: 4,037
    Looks good, Clay! I gotta try that sometime.......

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,421
    Sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar.
    We nibbled on some, put away in the frig for tomorrows dinner. Outstanding flavor now will be even better next day after a rest in the frig. ;)
    Thanks eenie meenie!
  • Yeah... this is gooood BBQ.

Yes, yes it is :woohoo:

I've done your recipe many times, Clay, and it just keeps getting better. A+
    Bet this would be mighty good sittin on a slice of your sourdough.
  • as a newbie, I found it.. for all the other newbies it is titled "clay's pulled beef BBQ" on the second page of the beef recipes !!!
    Looks fantastic. i will be making that soon!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

Thanks much! Nice to know that you are enjoying this beefy BBQ treat. Have a great Labor Day Holiday!
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    That stuff is amazing Clay! -RP
  • looks mighty tasty
    what sauce did you use?
  • egretegret Posts: 4,037
    Whewwwww......that's what I'm talkin' about!! :woohoo:

• Clay,

Man that looks good! ;)

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Thats been at the top of my to cook list several times and I still haven't done it :( It's back up there again,, nice job Clay
  • Boss HoggBoss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Clay-When we were at the Jersey Shore for vacation back in July, we were sitting around the dining room table and someone asked,"what's your favorite food"? I thought I'd hear things like steak, lobster, or pizza. All 3 of my kids plus one of their friends said that my pulled beef was their favorite food, which is really "Clay Q's Pulled Beef"!!! We have a party coming up at our house next weekend, and I've been making a bunch of your beef, vacuuming sealing it and freezing it for the party. Counting what I made yesterday, I'm up to 18 1/2 lbs in the freezer(not counting the amount we ate each time I made it :P ). Your name will will be spoken with reverence here next weekend. :) I almost forgot.....nice cook. ;)
  • I believe you when you say its good!! :whistle: Sure could use some myself for dinner's this week at work!
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    DON'T get any better than THAT!! :woohoo:
  • Clay Q wrote:
    Sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar.
    We nibbled on some, put away in the frig for tomorrows dinner. Outstanding flavor now will be even better next day after a rest in the frig. ;)

Clay, fantastic Q !

Ya wrote 11 hours all in all.

How long was the indirect phase, and how long was the pulled and sauced phase in the DO ?
  • FrankCFrankC Posts: 414
    Thanks, Clay! I tried this recipe for the first time on Saturday. Excellent results!

fc :)
  • Great looking beef. With a new DO, this is next on my to do list :) Thanks for the recipe and posting
    The beef will let you know how long it needs to go,... every time I make pulled beef there are different times to the stages but it's routine for the most part.
    This time it went approx. 5 hours indirect, three hours in the D.O. and two hours for the second smoking with lid off. One hour for various prep work, pulling, saucing between the 3 stages, 11 hours total. I've had 14 hour cooks and 8 hour cooks, quantity of beef is a big factor with time. I can push the temp up in stage 2 to 300 degrees if the beef stalls for over an hour, otherwise I'm chugging along slowly around 250-260 degrees. The lump lasts forever at that temp, I still have half a firebox full of lump. :) Amazing cooker these eggs. Tip; Lace the lump with hickory chunks when you build your fire for more consistency of smoke through-out the cook. I added a few more small pieces of hickory on top of the lump in the last stage. Wonderful aroma and flavor.
    Holy Smokes, over 18 pounds in the freezer! Wow.
    Very handy when feeding a hungry bunch. :cheer:
    Thanks for the kind words Brian. :)
  • KMO_QKMO_Q Posts: 150
    Looks amazing...Thanks! I will have to get a Dutch oven. What size?...12"? It is great to have the steps to follow, thank you for the pics...
    A No. 12 Lodge Dutch oven is 12" wide at the top lip.

For more pictures with a step by step go to;
    Then click on customer recipes and my Pulled Beef BBQ recipe is there.
    If you enjoy tender smoked beef you will enjoy this. ;)
  • KMO_QKMO_Q Posts: 150
    Thanks...I'll be heading to Bass Pro this week...