Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CWM ribs for the holiday (pic intensive)

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I decided to have our adult kids over for ribs this long weekend and as usual, it was hard trying to get everyone's schedule worked in. After much juggling, we finally decided to go for noon today as eating time, which meant I had to scramble early this morning.

I have been Q'ing for more years than I care to remember and I'll be up front in saying that old habits are hard to break, but I wanted to approach this cook from a different angle in a manner I have not done before.

After losing our forum friend, Carwash Mike a couple of month's ago and seeing so many cook ribs in his honor, I felt that maybe it was time to give his way a try, thus the purpose of the photo journal in this thread. I also decided to make Kari's Hog Apple Beans as one of the side dishes. Needless to say, that going for 2 completely "new to me" cooks was a challange and kept me on my toes trying to do it right. I decide to do the beans inside to help simplify things on the first try.

Being of a chatty nature, I think it would be best if I sat back and just let the pictures do the talking for a change.

At 6:30 am the egg temp was stable

P1010001_01.jpg

CWM set up on an AR rig

P1010003_01.jpg

Ribs slathered with mustard and rub from the fridge and ready to put on the egg.

P1010004_01-1.jpg

In the rib rack just like Mike said to do it.

P1010005_01.jpg

3 hours later and ready to bump the temp to 250*

P1010006_01.jpg

Getting everyhthing ready and waiting

P1010008_01-1.jpg

Yep... looks about right according to Mike and ready to finish with Blue's Hog

P1010015_01.jpg

Finished at last and looking good

P1010018_01.jpg

The final spread... The ribs

P1010020_01.jpg

Special recipe slaw

P1010023_01.jpg

And Kari's Hog Apple beans

P1010021_01.jpg

P1010022_01.jpg

All in all a most wonderful meal. The beans were out of this world and Mike's ribs were most excellent, just as I expected. I have always done my ribs direct and fall of the bone, these were a complete opposite from what I was used to and a refreshing change.

Everyone gobbled it up and was raving how good everything was so I must have done okay.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Comments