Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex Ultra Copper

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the process of installing a new gasket. Do you zigzag the permatex around the rim? I already scraped the edge, used stripper, scraped that off, cleaned it with nail polish remover. Ready to use a scrubbie for the remaining residue. I don't use a drill, no power tools for me. Next step is the Permatex. Zigzag? Or straight bead? How long to wait before attaching the gasket. I got a tubular woven gasket that is for oven doors. What's to lose at this point. Next time I'm going with the silicon bead and that's it. Why don't the other Komodo grills have this problem? BGE should figure this out.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Yes,a zig-zag pattern like this............

DSC_0223.jpg

Oh,and apply the gasket right away :)
  • it will work no mater what you did.

in a fit of pique i tore off the rutland (whose own adhesive failed, squeezed a line of permatex around the uncleaned rim, and jammed the gasket back down.

you want enough to spread out and contact all the gasket.

don't overthink it. squirt a decent bead and smush the thing into it.

done
  • Deckhand
    Options
    I ran a straight, fat bead and my helper followed closely behind with a flexable plastic putty knife and mashed it flat(er). Zig zag should work, maybe better.
    I didn't use any gasket on top of the Permatex but if I did, I would press it in place immediately... I'd do a foot, then apply gasket, squeeze and squash more Permatex and apply more gasket. If you're using the Permatex primarily to hold the gasket material, you won't have to be as picky about having an even, edge to edge layer of the Permatex.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Didn't clean that old stuff off completely I see. Guess I didn't need to be so anal about it, huh?

photo-2-2.jpg
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I too cleaned mine that well before the new gasket.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    All done. Thanks. Now the count down for 24 hr cure.
    That's hard to squeeze out. My hands cramped.
    PattyO
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    BGE is not the only one with gasket problems.

I have experience with a competative product and had the same problem.

That said, neither have been a big problem. I used both for a couple of years and they got hard and cracked.

I just toasted a Nomex gasket and will replace it with a Rutland. I think it was the adhesive that gave away and the cut ends pulled inside and burned off, leaving about a 2" open space.
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    For others: its not hard to squeeze out if you let the tube warm in the sun first, and throw away the plastic nosecone before using.