Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sandi's DEFINATELY doing the *HAPPY DANCE*

Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just took my chicken off the BGE...let it cool a minute...and GAWD....how DEWISH! Me, being the perfectionist that I am, had a few problems....and won't mention them because I think I mastered them pretty quickly. Kudos to whoever posted this recipe...IT IS GREAT!
Okay, I didn't screw up the chix...what should I try next? AND, at what point in time can I try like 4-5 boston butts. Been sitting there looking at it and trying to figger it out....[p]Ya'll are great and after MCUH intimidation by this thing...I'm proud to be an egg owner![p]BTW...I'm not giving up on a grill all-together. Cooking zone was finally picked up but Charbroil has a neat little electric patio caddy for around 120.00...think I'll invest in one of those tomorrow. Friend recently purchased one, says it will heat to 800 in less that 10! Any input? Once again, THANKS TO YOU ALL...for being so helpful and welcoming! (and I never spell check!!!HAHAHA)

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Sandi,[p]Where were you in my wilder single days??? Man, you are a fast mover for sure. You now want to do 4-5 Butts. That's a tall order for a true veteran let alone us lowly peons. Why not do 1 or maybe 2 Butts then 5 later. Just a suggestion. I like you eagerness though!! [p]Ooooh, I knew a Sandi from Minot ND years ago.[p]Tim
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Sandi,[p]You adveture sounds great. It will only get better! As soon as you're ready, I recommend you try searing steaks. I do it aboout once a month and each time I'm a little more amazed at how fast, easy and fabulous they are![p]Smokey

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sandi, Ya done good, and hang with this group for a while before spending $120.00 bucks..Your thinking will change very quickly.
    You may want to add the mini or small...!! Spell checker?? Whazzat??
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Tim M, small world..I did too.. Minot must be a great town with Sandi's...or Sandy's. :-)

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Waaalll...you can reach 800 degrees and give the food some flavor..or you can reach 800 degrees. Depends on what you want. Personally I find good flavor a big plus!
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Char-Woody,[p]oooo, maybe it's the same girl??[p]
    oooo[p]
    Tim

• Sandi
    Smokey,[p]Considering doing so tomorrow evening. Had a great deal on splitting a whole tenderloin with a friend. Can you recommend? Thanks in advance!
  • Sandi
    Tim M,
    Can't do only one or two, unless I haul out my reg smokers (both char-croil electric) I own an interest in a bar and the drawing power during the summer months (when sales are WAY down...especially during Happy Hour) would be the bbq buffet. I was on strike last week and we catered in 20 pounds of pulled...and paid 200.00 for the 20 lbs. It wasn't fir to feed a starving dog...much less the customers. Everyone complained this week that it wasn't my Q! So...I have to get up to seed with this contraption! Reason I'm wanting to know REAL QUICK....how to cook as many as I can.

• Sandi
    Tim M,
    UMMM...DOUBTFUL! NEVER heard of that gawd awful NORTHERN place ya'll speak of! My roots are FIRMLY planted here right outside of AUBURN ALABAMA...MY ALMA MATER...and HEY...I won't even hold it again ya if you're a Bama fan....OFF SEASON...DURING season...is entirely a DIFFERENT STORY! BTW...DETEST UGA fans, too!LOL

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Sandi,[p]It may sound CRAZY, but I coat my steaks with mustard (the cheap yellow stuff). Then add S&P or rub, then feed it to a 800+ degree monster! About 1 to 2 minutes per side (I like it rare in the middle). After the 2nd side has done it 1 - 2 minute term, shut the egg down and let the steak "dwell" for 3 minutes (all times will very depending on thickness and you taste and doneness.[p]THAT'S IT![p]My only caution is BE CAREFUL when you open the egg after the dwelling time. The fire has been starved for Oxygen and WILL breath fire! Open the bottom vent first!

• Char-Woody
    Sandi, if your dead serious about the big volume cook, then Old Dave is your supervisor.. He designed the triple deck roasting racks with long bolts and I think he did about the amount your wanting to do..Look down the archives or we can find if for ya..Complete with pictures so you won't get lost. He cooks multiple butts big time.
    Cheers..Char-Woody

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Sandi,[p]All I can say is GO DAWGS and thank GAWD for JAWJA, home of the BGE!!![p]