Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missing Fire Box - viable alternatives?

Options
Dean
Dean Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just acquired a medium BGE but unfortunately it is missing the fire box (holder and grate) It looks like the last owner was just putting the coals on the bottom - sub-optimal but may have been getting the job done? I'm wondering do I just use it like that, buy expensive replacment parts, or try to rig something that will allow some venting (such as a wire mesh basket?)
Welcome suggestions.
Thanks

Comments

• Dan in StL
    Options
    I would never use mine without a firebox - especially on a high temp cook. Just my opinion...
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    How about a sewer cover to replace that bottom grate. Lots of holes in them and various sizes.
    PattyO
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    You are probably missing the fire ring, too. Since you "aquired" your egg, I'm guessing you didn't put much money (if any) into it. Go ahead and buy the fire box, fire ring, CI grate for the bottom of the fire box, and any other parts you are missing. Total cost still less than a new egg and it's going to last you a life time. Enjoy.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It won't cook worth a darn with the parts you are missing, which probably explains why you were able to get it cheap. Buy the missing parts B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    Won't the city object?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    My used medium was just a shell, like yours. I bought a new firebox and ring from a local dealer, seems like it was a little over $200 for both. You can make a fire grate out of expanded metal. I did this for my other eggs for performance reasons. Works great.
  • grillmandan
    Options
    Buy the parts!
    You will be much happier with the Egg, and supporting the local dealer ain't so bad in my humble opinion!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    grillmandan wrote:
    ...supporting the local dealer ain't so bad in my humble opinion!

haha! good one!! :lol:

But I agree - buy the parts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Dean, Go ahead and get what you need. If you got your used egg for a song go into the dealership whistling and buy you some guts for that egg. ;) Tim