Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger mixture

Options
ResQue
ResQue Posts: 1,045
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I tried to search this and came up empty...I am going to make burgers tonight and need advice on the ratio for mixing. I have brisket and short ribs, that's it. Should I go 50/50? I will only be using the flat for grinding because I am going to make burnt ends tomorrow to go with the spares I am doing. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• short ribs might be too fatty.

how much fat is on the flat?

shoot for a litt1e less than a pound of fat to a little more than 4 pounds lean. that'd be close to 85/15 lean to fat. adjust accordingly if you want fattier

if you are using the kitchen aid, don't do a double grind or it'll be too mushy.
  • ResQue
    Options
    I got the short rib idea from a post that Wise One had a few years ago. I don't want the burger to be too lean so I thought I would add the short ribs. I am no expert on fat content but it seems that the brisket has a decent amount. I will be using the KA grinder and thanks for the advice on not double grinding because that is exactly what I had intended on doing. Here are some pics:
    79a1802c.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg

Sorry for the delayed response. I was having technical difficulties.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I tried doing brisket burgers for the first time the other day. Let me start by saying the taste was awesome. It was my technique that screwed it up.

1st - COLD MEAT - I kind of did this
    2nd - COLD GRINDER - I should have done this

If you do a coarse grind for the first one the patties probably will not stick together unless you bind them with something (mine fell apart and it sucked). My grinder and my meat got too warm and when I tried to do a second grind, it was a disaster. So next time I plan on putting 1st grind in freezer for 15-25 minutes then back through.

I used the point of my brisket with the hard fat cut off. If you are going to grind the whole think I think (not sure cause I have not done it) it would be best to alternate which part of the brisket you feed into the hopper to give the finished product a nice mix.

But brother let me tell you the finished product, what had not fallen in the egg anyway, was awesome. I wish I had done it right. Always next time right?

Please keep us posted, I would love to see how you do it and how it turns out so mine won't suck next time!
  • ResQue
    Options
    I am going to use just the flat and was trying to get input on whether or not to add short ribs. FYI it is a good idea to also put the metal parts of your grinder in the freezer before you grind along with the meat. You can also grind into a bowl that has been set into another bowl that is filled with ice. I can't wait to taste these, I just have the brisket burger virgin jitters!
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    Does anyone grind using a food processor?