Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Seasoning in the BGE!

Options
Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a new cast iron dutch oven. Instead of "seasoning" it in the oven - I did it on the Egg (indirect at 350 for 1 hour). It worked better than anything I've ever seasoned before. I highly recommend it!!!

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]Did mine the same way a couple of yeras ago and I agree.

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Eggsellent, You can also season the daisy wheel in the egg when the time comes.

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Please review the concept of "seasoning with me." I thought all you did was rub it down with oil. I didn't know that you were supposed to bake it too? Anything else I'm missing????

• Bluegillman
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    What's going to be cooked in the cast iron?

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    ShortRib,[p]It won't get thet "black" look without baking....
  • Sandlapper
    Options
    I have used the same cast iron for darn near 10 years. Makes great blackened foods. Heat BGE to 500 degrees and place cast iron skillet as close to the coals as possible. Throw a pad of butter in the seasoned pan and pan blacken chicken, steak, fish etc.....works great!![p]Unless preseasoned
    Heat an oven or BGE to 250o - 300o
    Coat the pan with lard or bacon grease. I use Crisco. Don't use a liquid vegetable oil or olive oil because it will leave a sticky surface and the pan will not be properly seasoned.
    Put the pan in the oven or BGE. In 15 minutes, remove the pan & pour out any excess grease. Place the pan back in the oven or BGE and bake for 2 hours. [p]If the pan was not seasoned properly or a portion of the seasoning wore off and food sticks to the surface or there is rust, then it should be properly cleaned and re-seasoned.[p]Most importantly, after use wash in hot water and dry completely. Otherwise rust will set in. However, not to freak because one can always reseason.[p]

• pointer
    Options
    ShortRib,[p]You should use shortening instead of oil.
    Oil turns "sticky", but shortening does not.[p]You need to "bake in a moderate oven for 1-2 hours for first seasoning,
    and do not cook high water content dishes for the first few cooks. (allows the seasoning to cure).

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Sandlapper,
    I would never let soap touch a cast iron pan, actually I don't usually even let water touch it. Just heat it up a bit, or wait for it to cool down, scrape out the food with paper towels after the bulk is gone. Use a small amount of grease if there isn't any left in the pan from the cook and dump in a small handful of kosher salt. Use the salt and a paper towel and the grease in the warm pan to scour the pan. Dump out the salt, wipe out the remaining bits with the paper towel and you're done with never a worry about losing the seasoning or worse, flavoring your seasoning with soap.

• Eggsellent
    Options
    ShortRib,
    Pointer was right on the money! After you apply the oil or shortening - you are supposed to bake it per the instructions I've always seen.

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Bluegillman,
    Well, eventually it will be used for Brunswick Stew and Chili. I bought a biggin - 7 QT! Gotta wait a few more cooks until it's seasoned just right. So, in the meantime I'll probably make chicken fried steak or fried chicken. Wonder if I could do that on the Egg? Hmmmmmm....

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Did the same thing with my brand new Lodge # 8 and it worked great. I just made a one pot Jambalay a couple weeks ago on the egg that was THE BEST that I've ever had. Very cool recipe. Not sure if I got it here or at the BBQ Forum.
    E-mail me if you want it and I'll try to find it.

• Sandlapper
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Never said to use soap...However, I do use hot water and Tons of paper towels!!

• Eggsellent
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    Just sent the email. Thanks!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    ShortRib,
    one thing that works for me is a pot brush that i found in the hardware store. it has stiff bistles and looks like a big hair brush. when i remove the food from the hot pan i pour a glass of hot water into the pan(watch out for the steam or you may get burned). 10 seconds of scrubbing with the brush and all the loose stuff wipes out with a towell. i havent had to reseason for a long time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bluegillman
    Options
    Eggsellent,I haven't got to try Brunswick Stew yet, I always love to cook soup and those chicken dumpling stews..

• Eggsellent
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    Would you mind posting (re-posting) the Jambalaya recipe when you find it? I've had a couple folks email me thinking I had it, so there is definitely some interest here. Thanks!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    I think he used the one I posted that I got from Kevin Taylor.We have cooked this many times and it turns out great.
    Larry

[ul][li]Couzan Billy's Jambalaya[/ul]
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    YB,
    Thank you so much!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Your welcome.Almost time to cook some steaks tonight.
    Larry[p]