Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oven stuffer chicken: spatchcock? direct/indirect?

SmokeOrFire
SmokeOrFire Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been searching the forum but for the life of me can't find what to do with these larger chickens. Seems like the consensus for fryer chickens (3-4 lb) is to spatchcock and cook direct. However for a 7-8 lb roaster which gives the best result?

Spatchcock+direct?
Spatchcock+indirect?
Whole+indirect?

Comments

• My preference for larger birds is to seperate the dark and white meats so that I can pull the breasts off the fire earlier than the dark meat, which takes a little longer, thereby not drying my breasts out. Just a personal preference. Otherwise I struggle with dried breasts in trying to get the dark finished.

Do mine at 375 to 400 direct, and love the flavor! We do lemon pepper the most.
  • By separate the dark and white meats, do you just mean you quarter the chicken and cook the parts separately (probably with the legs/thighs closer to the hot spot on the grill)?
  • SmokeOrFire

I had some great results cooking inverted

DSC_0103-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON